Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to export in rich text format in new pages?

I download the new Pages and cannot find a way to export as rich text. What am I missing?

Hugh

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 7:04 PM

11 replies

Nov 1, 2013 2:52 PM in response to hughmass

Is it me, or is Apple taking a huge step backwards?

I relied on rtf to send files to lots of people and I didn't have to worry if they had a Windows or Apple machine, pages or Word or only a text program. Mostly I used it for work so that basic formatting would survive, but now Pages doesn't support rtf!

If I have to format as Word to send out any special formats then why wouldn't I just USE Word in the first place?

The 'Save as' function now requires me to jump through hoops instead of a simple process to rename.

It is perhaps too early to make this judgment, but it seems to me that Apple is starting to fall into the arrogance that used to dog Microsoft. They are so big that they now think they can move away from ease of use and it is a BIG mistake!

Nov 2, 2013 5:21 AM in response to Keldab

I have no immediate intention of installing either Mavericks or Pages 5, so I can't check, but rich text has (as far as I know) always been one of the formats that Pages puts on the clipboard when you copy a text selection.

So you can, in Pages, Select All and Copy (⌘A,⌘C), Command tab to TextEdit, Paste into a new document and Save as RTF (⌘N, ⌘V,⌘S). That's a few more steps than going through the old Export… process, but I would suspect that it still works.

Nov 2, 2013 11:44 AM in response to hughmass

There are a lot of threads concerning this stuff, we're not alone. Here's what I discovered:

No, Pages 5 cannot export to (.rtf)... I know because I looked for it for some time.

The discovery that saved me from pulling out my imaginary hair was that 'Pages' (version 5.0) has been ADDED to your applications; to wit, it didn't change your iWorks '09 Pages (version 4.3) application. If you look in your applications folder, the new Pages (5.0) is listed there, and your Pages '09 is still in your iWorks folder. I went back to using 4.3 for that very reason (.rtf export).

If you have opened and saved files in the new Pages (5.0), and are scared you won't be able to access them returning to '09, don't sweat it... 5.0 has an export to '09.

I hope that helps...

Jan 24, 2014 7:21 AM in response to Inqursion

Thank you, thank you, thank you Inqursion. Did I say it enough? Thank YOU!!

I was looking for "Export to RTF" because Pages 5.0 does not work with Endnote x7; in opening a document in Pages 5.0 (my latest and overdue 5000 word assignment) I lost all of my in-text references. After endless pulling out of hair (I am now metaphorically bald) I was hoping to cobble together a sort-of reference set using an RTF list, as the only format Endnote will work with outside of Word or Pages, but then couldn't export as RTF. Then I came across your post, found the original iWork 09 folder, exported my Pages 5.0 copy of the assignment back out as 09 format, and suddenly all my references re-appeared.

I humbly thank you from the bottom of my very stressed heart.

Feb 4, 2014 9:58 PM in response to hughmass

This is a terrible reduction in functionality in Pages 5.0. This feature needs to be brought back. As much as it sometimes feels like "sending feedback to Apple" is futile, the current state of their iWork apps has inspired me to do so anyway.

Is there any workaround without using an entirely new word processor or reverting to Pages '09? I removed all things iWork '09 from my system and can't seem to find the installation disk…

Feb 4, 2014 10:05 PM in response to BrokenAccidentalStars

Why did you do that?

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewtopic.php?t=432&sid=e5dcf9250965 d825a817397976aa574e&mforum=iworktipsntrick

I seriously suggest everyone have a good look at the newly released LibreOffice 4.2.

I am becoming more and more convinced that it will be a better choice than switching to Microsoft Office, the other near similar choice to iWork.

Peter

Is there a way to export in rich text format in new pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.