Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Upgrade message in Mavericks won't go away

Have upgraded from 10.8 to 10.9 Mavericks on my Macbook Pro, everything pretty much went fine, except for a problem with Mail.

Everytime I open it, I get the below screenshot, saying "Welcome to Mail. To use the new features in Mail, your Mail messages need to be downloaded to this computer...."

User uploaded file

If I click continue, I get a "bing" sound and then my Mail opens up, but I get the same message each time I open Mail.

Annoying.

Mail-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 7:06 PM

48 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:52 AM in response to ryannz

I don't get the message anymore by doing the following:

Try to repair disk permissions first.

If your mail is also on a server and provided that you have a backup of your rules, signatures, etc, you can try the following:

go to ~/Library/Mail

Delete all contents of the Mail folder. Don't delete the Mail folder.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences

Delete the file com.apple.mail.plist

The above actions will delete all local mail and reset the app completely! If you don't have a backup of your mail don't follow these actions!

Oct 23, 2013 11:52 AM in response to peripheral

That worked! I was hesitant to try it at first because I have some local mail folders. But it was easy. Here's what I did:

1. I went to ~/Library/Mail/V2/Mailboxes and dragged its contents to the desktop.
  2. I deleted everything else in ~/Library/Mail/ without deleting the Mail folder.
  3. I launched Mail.app and set up my IMAP accounts through Preferences: Accounts.
  4. I quit mail and then dragged my local mailboxes from the desktop into the newly created Mailboxes folder.
  5. I relaunched Mail. No "Welcome to Mail" message!

Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Oct 23, 2013 2:20 PM in response to ryannz

I managed to stop the message more simply, by:

1. Open Mail

2. In Prefs>Accounts>Account information uncheck the "Enable this account" on all accounts

3. Quit Mail

4. Reopen Mail (no message appears)

5. Re-enable account in Prefs>Accounts>Account Information

6. Quit Mail

7. Re-open mail

Everything works ok and no message appears.

Hope it works for you too.

Mail Upgrade message in Mavericks won't go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.