Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Lacie Hard Drive won't mount in Mavericks.

I have a Lacie external hard drive that's nearly 10 years old. Got Mavericks just now and suddenly it won't mount. Any ideas?

imac intel

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 1:28 PM

I have this problem as well but my Lacie drive is only 2 years old. I have Mac Book Pro 13" about 2 years old. Mavericks 10.9. Mavericks was able to back up the hard drive after I first installed Mavericks but now 2 weeks later it doesn't even see the drive. It is a LACIE AR35U3. The light on the hard drive flickers and flickers but it never shows up in Finder or Time Machine.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2013 1:28 PM in response to jobu75

I have this problem as well but my Lacie drive is only 2 years old. I have Mac Book Pro 13" about 2 years old. Mavericks 10.9. Mavericks was able to back up the hard drive after I first installed Mavericks but now 2 weeks later it doesn't even see the drive. It is a LACIE AR35U3. The light on the hard drive flickers and flickers but it never shows up in Finder or Time Machine.

Nov 15, 2013 2:37 AM in response to jobu75

Additional info - I see a lot of google hits on Mavericks causing problems with Western Digital or Lacie hard drives. In my case, I did not use a 3rd party tool, just plugged it into the MacBook. So in Disk Utility, I can accomplish nothing: Drive won't mount, first aid won't work, verify won't work, nothing. It knows the drive is there but it can't do anything. I figured I would just start over from scratch with a new Time Machine backup. Although I'd like the older data, it's not critical - 300GB on a 2TB drive over the course of 2 years. If I could somehow get the drive reformatted, I'd be happy to start over. I hope there is some answer for this. Mavericks managed to do one backup and then crapped out.

Nov 17, 2013 9:07 PM in response to randomplanck

I have my LaCie d2 Quadra USB 3.0 2TB drive, about a year old, connected to my 27" iMac for Time Machine backups. I recently upgraded my iMac to Mavericks. After one backup, Time Machine failed to perform any further backups. After restart, the iMac doesn't mount the drive, though the blue light on the LaCie flickers. I've never formatted the drive with any LaCie utilities/software. I just connected the d2 drive to my iMac out of the box.

I connected my LaCie to another iMac that DOES NOT have Mavericks installed. The d2 mounted right away. I used Disk Utilities to repair and then to erase the d2 drive.

Then I reconnected the d2 drive to my Mavericks iMac. It mounted, performed an initial 4-hour backup with Time Machine, and later, when Time Machine attempted to perform the first daily scheduled backup, Time Machine hung in "preparing to back up"-mode. So I restarted my iMac. Once again, the d2 drive does not mount, though the drive is powered on, blue light flickering.

Since the LaCie d2 drive doesn't mount, Disk Utilities is useless to inspect, diagnose, repair the d2 drive.

So for the time being, I am operating without any backup/Time Machine device. So my ~25,000 image Adobe Lightroom library now has no backup.

I have made arrangements to acquire an non-WD/non-LaCie drive for backups within 36 hours. I hope I am lucky. Apple must provide a very public workaround, and do so immediately, to address their inexcusable sloppiness & lack of QA.

Nov 21, 2013 3:03 AM in response to jobu75

Rather than accuse Apple (I read that Mavericks now requires a DHX2 authentication) I would like LaCie to provide a fix as soon as possible, as WD did!

In my Lacie Network Space 2 ethernet disk I still can access and use the shared storage part, but the protected part I used for TimeMachine is no longer reachable. Moreover, although I updated the firmware on LaCie disk to the last available version, it still gives an error about the automatic update procedure (the same I had since last year). I have no particular proxy setup or similar in my home network, just a wi-fi router. A bit shameful: in the LaCie page to open a support ticket, the Mavericks OS still doesn't appear at all among those to select!

Does anyone know if some fix from LaCie is already available?

Thanks form Italy!

Nov 21, 2013 9:17 AM in response to jk4u59

Hi all, a good update: TimeMachine is now working fine! I created a new unit to be used by TM, and that one works (TM is now saving some 234 GB of stuff!).

Unfortunately the one I was using up to now is no more reachable (so I assume that the 3/400BGs inside are simply... gone). I'll try to delete that unit from the web-based disk management interface (by the user admin), at least to free that huge space.

A pity that such problems aren't described at all in the LaCie FAQ page!

User uploaded file

Mar 18, 2014 7:25 PM in response to jobu75

Hello everyone!

My problem is with the LaCie d2 SAFE Hard Drive Mavericks 10.9.2, It just won't mount.

I'm able to see it in the system profile (System Information) the LaCie Security Manager 1.1.2 already installed on this site LaCie website: http://www.lacie.com/us/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10100, by the way, when I cllick on Lacie SAFE Manager status bar icon, (About) it shows version 1.1.1 of software, don't know why 😢.

I have try USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 cables.

The hard drive sound normal, not clicking or cyclic sounds.

I already reset SMC.

What I am missing? . .

Please help!! 😢

Apr 12, 2014 11:35 AM in response to jobu75

I can no longer get drivers for an older 45gb Lacie drive and a Macbook Pro running OSX Mavericks, thereby rendering the drive useless. I have a large music collection on this drive but cannot access it because my Mac does not recognize the drive. Data Recovery is outrageously expensive, something like $500 I think. I could try to find data recovery software, but I am not sure it would work ifmy Mac doesn't know the drive exists.

There iS third-party software that automatically recognizes your Lacie drive and the appropriate drivers to download, but it is ONLY for PCs. What good is that?

Check it out, if you like:

http://www.drivermanager.com/en/drivers.php

Brand=Lacie&Logo=lacie&gclid=CP61rvLG270CFU4aOgodO2wAmA

In summary, the lack of Mac support is a bummer, and that means I will no longer buy Lacie drives. Time has passed this drive (and Lacie) by.

Aug 7, 2014 5:51 PM in response to jobu75

Hey everyone, my solution works for me and it's very simple - could be worth trying before anything risky or complicated.

All I do is go to Activity Monitor, choose Finder -> Quit -> Force Quit. Finder re-launches automatically immediately, and my external drives all show up and behave themselves. The same simple solution also works when trash emptying gets stuck. I often find it's the Finder, not the devices and system, that is at fault.

Feb 8, 2016 4:15 AM in response to jobu75

I found a simple solution which works.

Log on to the Lacie drive via the dashboard web application

Go to general settings

In general settings click on the "services" tab and ensure that the "Time Machine" option is selected.

Once selected, you will then see it appear in Time Machine when selecting the hard drive under preferences.

Hope this helps some of you folk - i struggled for a while but eventually got it to work

Lacie still a very trusted and reliable form of backup for my machine - i have a airport as well just in case...

My Lacie Hard Drive won't mount in Mavericks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.