Previous 1 72 73 74 75 76 Next 1,534 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2015 11:34 AM by Kurt Weber Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • pinkuff Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    robogobo wrote:

     

    No, they've been reading the feedback submitted through the proper channels.  You guys are fooling yourselves if you think this discussion thread has made a hill of beans' difference.  It's just complaining for the sake of complaining.  Besides, we have Peter's assurance Apple will no longer be improving Pages, and now the new Mac Pro will be the very last!  he's so sure of it, even though he'll be the first to question how anyone can be sure of the contrary.

    Kenneth Collins1 wrote:

     

    Derick Fay wrote:

     

    Apple has just posted a list of features "in upcoming releases in the next 6 months"

     

    I see they've been reading the discussions. They wouldn't throw water on it if they didn't know it was a fire.

     

    You guys are hillarious. 

    If we don't make a "hill of beans" of difference, why are you wasting so much of your time with us?

    Leave us alone to complain while you gorge on Apple's Kool-Aid and we tell your employer how dissatisfied we are with its performance.

     

    Because, in case you haven't noticed: we are the ******' CUSTOMERS of Apple, not its churchmembers

  • cosmofromwatertown Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Robo;

     

    I think it was your intention all along to turn this discussion into a bicker-session to do your little (and I mean little) part in confusing what for many of us was a valid attempt at trying to wrap our minds around exactly what Apple was up to and how to navigate through it. The few 'tips' you've offered were more propaganda than helpful. Need I remind you how you allowed everyone initially to believe you were a developer until you sprung your little 'gotcha' moment?

     

    By the way, the only way we can be sure Peter's list survives is by an external site out of reach of mods. I thought I had reached out to you - now I see I was just used.

  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (32,435 points)

    For the benefit of everyone else, as robogobo tried to slide past the question in the unlinked other thread, here is my response to him:

     

    Apple does pay attention to this forum. when it speaks up, loud and clear with one voice.

     

    The almost unprecedented post of the future updates with some sort of a time line points to that.

     

    Also the sudden presence of Apple support staff here (the Black Bars) seems to be someone's idea of damage control. Unfortunately they seem to be reading from some knowledgebase articles and haven't much of a clue.

     

    However it would be true that normally they don't, because they aren't interested for exactly the same reason as is evident in robogobo's response to what does he value user's work.

     

    robogobo wrote:

     

    I have no idea how to assess this.  Is it an autobiography or garage sale stickers?  What a ridiculous question.

     

    To robogobo and Apple, yes it is a ridiculous question. For both of them it is not their work.

     

    In the case of Apple it is not their work and not on software they use themselves.

     

    That is the heart of the problem and why the users here feel so intensely about this issue.

     

    It is their work, it is valuable whether it is a "garage sale sticker", an "autobiography" or more likely all their business's billings, or 4 years of an academic's work, their thesis, their technical journals, their publications, a travel guide, advertising, entire family history, journal, pitch for that great idea, legal submissions, or any of a million reasons people put their work to paper or screen.

     

    Pages 5 along with Keynote and Numbers are now worthless by Apple's own word. No charge, free, here have one. But we all here paid for them for a reason and more than the paltry few dollars in the App Store. Apple did a magnificent job on selling the applications to us, as an alternative to Ms Office, telling us how much we could achieve using them. And Apple for once was right, we discovered just how brilliant those applications were, turning them to ideas Apple never thought of because although they weren't perfect they could do things that no other application could.

     

    Then having fully committed ourselves to the iWork apps as a medium, all our work locked into their format, Apple announced the long awaited "upgrade" the one that would fix the remaining issues with the software.

     

    The reality was an almost totally new file format, that so poorly translates the old files it actually screws them up and a decimation of the features, rendering the software now largely pointless and a hazard to your business.

     

    As Apple hadn't announced any of this it took some detective work to unmask the real story in this forum. When the apparent depth of the bait and switch dawned on the users of course the reaction was predictable.

     

    I think Apple was genuinely caught by surprise as it doesn't seem to value the software itself (hasn't touched it in years, nor uses it in its offices) and honestly doesn't give a thought for its users or their work.

     

    Apple's self obsession is what makes it so hard to get its attention and get it do what it just never ever does, which is think about its users except as some abstract species, supposedly benefiting from Apples largess and dutifully worshiping at the designated Apple temples where they can make the usual offerings.

     

    Apple likes to talk about its users, and how important they are, but the truth is they design for themselves. The problem here is how can they design the iWork and iLife suites for themselves when they don't actually use them. They are a remote, enormously overpaid, isolated elite sitting in an ivory tower just turning their attention to the free toy in the bottom of the cereal box. something they had largely ignored for years.

     

    Given what they did to it, I hate to say this, I wish they had continued to ignore it.

     

    Peter

  • robogobo Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)

    I answered it and you missed it.  Man, you're a piece of work.

     

    for the benefit of other's (and yours too, Peter!) here's my response (I can play this game too):

     

    Of course - OF COURSE - you leave out the sentence before that, where I said I value other's work "however much they themselves value it".  But you're the master of taking what you like to use and leaving out what doesn't suit you, right?  See, nobody can assess the value of another's work.  It's as valuable as it is to the author.  Infinitely so.  Your question was the problem.  But you knew that.  You've been dead set on predicting the apocolypse from the start, even before you saw the product first-hand.  What does that tell me?  You had an agenda.  Then you try to take people to your tips n tricks site for solutions.  Classic FUD.

     

    And ahhh, Support Staff are here you say, but haven't a clue?  And you ask me for evidence of my claims.  So sad.

  • robogobo Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)

    What?  how did I allow anyone to believe I'm a developer?  Are you OK?  Maybe you need to lie down.  This kind of panic and doomsday hubbub can take quite a toll.

  • Hirschkorn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)


    PeterBreis0807 wrote:

     

    Pages 5 along with Keynote and Numbers are now worthless by Apple's own word. No charge, free, here have one. But we all here paid for them for a reason and more than the paltry few dollars in the App Store. Apple did a magnificent job on selling the applications to us, as an alternative to Ms Office, telling us how much we could achieve using them. And Apple for once was right, we discovered just how brilliant those applications were, turning them to ideas Apple never thought of because although they weren't perfect they could do things that no other application could.

    I think this could be the perfect description of our current situation.

  • Magnus Lewan Level 4 Level 4 (3,655 points)

    robogobo wrote:

     

    What?  how did I allow anyone to believe I'm a developer?  Are you OK?  Maybe you need to lie down.  This kind of panic and doomsday hubbub can take quite a toll.

     

    To avoid any suspicion falling on anyone else, I have reported your posts as aggressive and non-productive. If your posts are removed, or you are completely blocked from this forum, it is not Peter's or anyone else's fault. It is my fault. Or credit, depending on one's perspective.

  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (32,435 points)

    Magnus

     

    Whilst I appreciate the thought please don't report robogobo.

     

    For several reasons. One I hate censorship of any kind but more because he is virtually the only alternate viewpoint here.

     

    This should not be just us all agreeing, not that we all do, but there should be as many viewpoints as possible.

     

    It also demonstrates to Apple that all sides of the debate are being examined and we are still absolutely convinced that Apple's changes are wrong and unnecessarily turning away customers.

     

    Peter

     

    Admin

     

    Please leave robogobo's post as is. I know the debate is getting occassionally heated but I don't think it has passed over the line where the issues have been forgotten and all that's left is personalities.

  • cosmofromwatertown Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thank you Peter, Bravo, that sums up exactly how I feel.

     

    At least perhaps we've won a moral victory.

  • Tristan Hubsch Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)

    Can anyone tell me what this "branched-out discussion" (top of each web-page in this thread) is?

    Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 14.07.21.jpg

    When I click on "discussion," I'm told:

    Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 14.07.30.jpg

    Is that a secret cabal, discussing the Pages 4.3 → 5.0 upgrade? 

  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (32,435 points)

    Tristan

     

    Yes I hit them a couple of times. I wonder if Apple has its own discussion forum where they discuss what to do with this one.

     

    Do you have the URLs

     

    Peter

  • Tristan Hubsch Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)

    PeterBreis0807 wrote:

     

    Tristan

     

    Do you have URLs for them?

     

    Peter

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5502621

  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (32,435 points)

    Yep that's the one.

     

    Maybe that's where robogobo reports back to the mother ship on the doings amongst the semi-sentient "Users"?

     

    Peter

  • ericeuhan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This is just pitiful.  Pages 09 was a fine program, at least to the extent that I had finally learned to do most everything that I wanted to do.  But Pages 5.0 is a complete joke.  Their only interest, apparently, was to create a word processing program that could do no more than an iPad app.  I tried it, and then went back to Pages 09.  The problem with that is that now Pages 09 crashes every ten minutes or so.  I'm now afraid to write on it.  It says "Pages Plug-in Failure" whatever that means.  I'm beside myself.  I'd hate to have to relearn MS Word, and reconvert all my files after five years with Pages, but it looks like that's  my only option.

  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (32,435 points)

    Eric

     

    Have you given a review and rating in the App Store?

     

    The more the merrier.

     

    Peter

Previous 1 72 73 74 75 76 Next