Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reduce the size of my pdf file?

I have a pdf file that is 2.31gb. Everytime I open it in preview, it becomes very slow and crashes frequently(i.e. lags when I scroll, crashes when I search within the document). I'm assuming this is happening because the file is so large. I tried reducing it in Colorsync Utility, but the quality and clarity of the document was horrible; could read a word. Is there anyway I can reduce the document so I can view it with ease(not having to restart preview, no lags, no crashes)? My computer is currently running OS 10.9(Mavericks) and I had the same problem when it was runnning the most updated versions of Mountain Lion.

Also, If the size of the pdf is not the problem, are there any better, free alternatives for PDF readers?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2013 11:23 AM

I found this after hours of frustration trying to find an app that would allow me to reduce scanned documents - it worked perfectly. I have just copied and pasted the answer for you.

This is a simple and free solution I found to reduce the file size of PDFs in OS X, without the high cost and awful UI of Acrobat Pro, and with acceptable quality. I still use it every day, although I have Acrobat Pro as part of Adove Creative Cloud subscription.

Since quite a few people have found it useful and keep asking questions about the download location and destination of the filters, which have changed since 2007, I decided to write this update, and put it in this more current forum.

Here is how to install it:

Here is the appropriate location for the filters:This assumes that your startup disk's name is "Macintosh HD". If it is different, just replace "Macintosh HD" with the name of your startup disk.

• If you are running Lion or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.7.x or 10.8.x) then you should put the downloaded filters in "Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services". This folder should already exist and contain files. Once you put the downloaded filters there, you should have for example one file with the following path:
    "Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services/Reduce to 150 dpi average quality - STANDARD COMPRESSION.qfilter"
  • If you are running an earlier vesion of OS X (10.6.x or earlier), then you should put the downloaded filters in "Macintosh HD/Library/Filters" and you should have for example one file with the following path:
    "Macintosh HD/Library/Filters/Reduce to 150 dpi average quality - STANDARD COMPRESSION.qfilter"

Here is how to use it:

• Open a PDF file using Apple's Preview app,
  • Choose Export (or Save As if you have on older version of Mac OS X) in the File menu,
  • Choose PDF as a format
  • In the "Quartz Filter" drop-down menu, choose a filter "Reduce to xxx dpi yyy quality"; "Reduce to 150 dpi average quality - STANDARD COMPRESSION" is a good trade-off between quality and file size

Here is how it works:

• These are Quartz filters made with Apple Colorsinc Utility.
  • They do two things:
    • downsample images contained in a PDF to a target density such as 150 dpi,
    • enable JPEG compression for those images with a low or medium setting.

Which files does it work with?It works with most PDF files. However:

• It will generally work very well on unoptimized files such as scans made with the OS X scanning utility or PDFs produced via OS X printing dialog.
  • It will not further compress well-optimized (comrpessed) files and might create bigger files than the originals,
  • For some files it will create larger files than the originals. This can happen in particular when a PDF file contains other optomizations than image compression. There also seems to be a bug (reported to Apple) where in certain circumstances images in the target PDF are not JPEG compressed.

What to do if it does not work for a file (target PDF is too big or even larger than the original PDF)?

• First,a good news: since you used a Save As or Export command, the original PDF is untouched.
  • You can try another filter for a smaller size at the expense of quality.
  • The year being 2013, it is now quite easy to send large files through the internetusing Dropbox, yousendit.com, wetransfer.com etc. and you can use these services to send your original PDF file.
  • There are other ways of reducing the size of a PDF file, such as apps in the Mac App store, or online services such as the free and simple http://smallpdf.com

What else?

Feel free to use/distribute/package in any way you like.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), and other Macs too

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2013 11:23 AM in response to habdarwish32

I found this after hours of frustration trying to find an app that would allow me to reduce scanned documents - it worked perfectly. I have just copied and pasted the answer for you.

This is a simple and free solution I found to reduce the file size of PDFs in OS X, without the high cost and awful UI of Acrobat Pro, and with acceptable quality. I still use it every day, although I have Acrobat Pro as part of Adove Creative Cloud subscription.

Since quite a few people have found it useful and keep asking questions about the download location and destination of the filters, which have changed since 2007, I decided to write this update, and put it in this more current forum.

Here is how to install it:

Here is the appropriate location for the filters:This assumes that your startup disk's name is "Macintosh HD". If it is different, just replace "Macintosh HD" with the name of your startup disk.

• If you are running Lion or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.7.x or 10.8.x) then you should put the downloaded filters in "Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services". This folder should already exist and contain files. Once you put the downloaded filters there, you should have for example one file with the following path:
    "Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services/Reduce to 150 dpi average quality - STANDARD COMPRESSION.qfilter"
  • If you are running an earlier vesion of OS X (10.6.x or earlier), then you should put the downloaded filters in "Macintosh HD/Library/Filters" and you should have for example one file with the following path:
    "Macintosh HD/Library/Filters/Reduce to 150 dpi average quality - STANDARD COMPRESSION.qfilter"

Here is how to use it:

• Open a PDF file using Apple's Preview app,
  • Choose Export (or Save As if you have on older version of Mac OS X) in the File menu,
  • Choose PDF as a format
  • In the "Quartz Filter" drop-down menu, choose a filter "Reduce to xxx dpi yyy quality"; "Reduce to 150 dpi average quality - STANDARD COMPRESSION" is a good trade-off between quality and file size

Here is how it works:

• These are Quartz filters made with Apple Colorsinc Utility.
  • They do two things:
    • downsample images contained in a PDF to a target density such as 150 dpi,
    • enable JPEG compression for those images with a low or medium setting.

Which files does it work with?It works with most PDF files. However:

• It will generally work very well on unoptimized files such as scans made with the OS X scanning utility or PDFs produced via OS X printing dialog.
  • It will not further compress well-optimized (comrpessed) files and might create bigger files than the originals,
  • For some files it will create larger files than the originals. This can happen in particular when a PDF file contains other optomizations than image compression. There also seems to be a bug (reported to Apple) where in certain circumstances images in the target PDF are not JPEG compressed.

What to do if it does not work for a file (target PDF is too big or even larger than the original PDF)?

• First,a good news: since you used a Save As or Export command, the original PDF is untouched.
  • You can try another filter for a smaller size at the expense of quality.
  • The year being 2013, it is now quite easy to send large files through the internetusing Dropbox, yousendit.com, wetransfer.com etc. and you can use these services to send your original PDF file.
  • There are other ways of reducing the size of a PDF file, such as apps in the Mac App store, or online services such as the free and simple http://smallpdf.com

What else?

Feel free to use/distribute/package in any way you like.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), and other Macs too

Oct 26, 2013 11:28 AM in response to habdarwish32

When it opens in acrobat, did you try going to document in the menu and scroll down to reduce file size? If it is not under document it is under one of the selections in the menu.

Also, if you have photoshop, open there and reduce the size there. When opening it should request a ppi or dpi. Try 100dpi and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

Nov 7, 2013 9:23 AM in response to Raylenefromca

Raylene,

Wow!!!! Thanks so much for that. I have gone crazy trying to find the spot in between oatmeal (Acrobat Pro: Reduce file size) and "optimize" (=zillions of mb) by changing settings in the optimize preferences and failed miserably. This quartz filter solution is excellent. I had pretty much given up and was going to reduce my scan resolution and start over. This really works for me. I have to transfer large image files with multiple pages over a network. You rock!

-Kate in NH

Nov 7, 2013 1:19 PM in response to katefromnh

Kate, I'm glad it worked for you! If you need more options to convert PDFs to docs, compress PDFs, etc., I FINALLY found an app that works great - it's made by Wondershare - I bought to PDF converter Pro and it's great. I don't know why apple doesn't make an app like Adobe Acrobat for Macs - seems so shortsighted!! I'm glad the suggestion worked!!!!

How can I reduce the size of my pdf file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.