Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

swap file on startup

Am seeing a 1GB swap file created on startup under 10.9 on mid-2010 Mini (8/320) and was wondering if anyone else is seeing 1GB swap files created on startup on their machines?

Also - Menu Meters and iStatMenus both report 1GB swap file (and there are 2 files in lib/var/vm) but Activity Monitor shows 0b of swap 'used' and 8GB of VM (in addition to 8GB RAM)

any thoughts/clarification welcomed

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 8:45 PM

6 replies

Oct 22, 2013 9:01 PM in response to nbar

thanks nbar - "normal" for Mavericks I presume, as it never occurred on prev versions of OS X - so we have pro-active swap files created in case, rather than reactive, created as required?

added:

I actually have 2 swapfiles - swapfile0 and swapfile1

I understand that swapfile0 is created automatically but I am asking about the 1GB swap file that Mavericks is creating...

sorry for the confusion

Message was edited by: EJW Tas

Oct 23, 2013 9:07 PM in response to EJW Tas

Very strange - swapfile0 is 67MB and swapfile 1 is 1.07GB

why should OSX generate a 1.07GB swapfile at startup when we have heard so much about its much-touted memory compression? seems counter-intuitive and counter-productive to generate swapfiles on a HDD when not needed (at startup).

Would be delighted to hear of explanation.

Oct 23, 2013 10:00 PM in response to EJW Tas

Yes, now I see what you mean. Two swap files are generated at startup . I just checked on my machine as well. This is is not necessarily abnormal behavior, however, since Mavericks now includes a new memory managemt scheme where inactive RAM is 'compressed' in a way so as to prevent virtual memory from being used. This could be a bug, or related to the new memory allocation scheme

swap file on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.