Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ignore App Updates That Can't Work On iDevice?

Not sure if this is an iTunes or iTunes Store question. iTunes is telling me I have 3 app updates waiting - only problem is they all require iOS 7 as a minimum, but I only have iOS 6.1.3/4 on my iDevices (which iTunes KNOWS). How can I hide these incompatible apps or tell iTunes to ignore them? Oh, this is for iTunes 10.7.

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 8:35 PM

19 replies

Nov 13, 2013 6:41 PM in response to romad

What works for me is to only update through the App Store on my iPhone. I had this problem big time with my iPod touch 1G that only went up to iOS 3. Now I have an iPhone 3GS that stops at iOS6 like yours.

If you look at the updates available on the phone, you will only see the ones that will work on the iOS version on the phone. Not the best solution, but it works.

Where it does not work if when you g3et an update that is supposed to work on your iOS verison but crashes all the time. I have one of those (and a couple where the update is junk and ruins the app) so I downgraded to an earlier version. And, of course, the App Store in the phone keeps nagging me to update, so I have to ignore those updates.

It would be nice if Apple would add a feature to iTunes so you could set it to ignore certain updates, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dec 2, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Chris CA

Yeah, so far I've been able to remember which of the updates are iOS 7 only, but as more and more get added, I have to check each one in the App Store. It is the last that I was hoping to avoid. Common sense says there should be a setting to tell iTunes not to show apps for "x" version of iOS. (But hey, we're talking about Apple here! 😁 )

Dec 2, 2013 2:57 PM in response to Chris CA

Tell me about it! 😁

I have an iPad 3, and an iPhone 5, both of which can run iOS 7. However, I'm staying at iOS 6.1.x for both because I can't stand the UI in iOS 7, and because the developer of two of my most heavily used apps passed away in May, so they haven't been updated to run properly on iOS 7. I have not found any similar applications as good as them so far.

All that said, I'm very tempted by the iPad Mini 2!

Dec 4, 2013 3:40 AM in response to romad

Aha, now I see your "problem" - too many iOS devices! 🙂

How about this: open the App Store on the iDevice to see what is available for that device, then go to iTunes and download that update. That way you will know which updates you need and you won't have to click on each one in iTunes to see if it will work on the device.

Clumsy, and Apple should fix this, but this method may make things easier for you.

Dec 4, 2013 9:24 AM in response to jlevinson

jlevinson wrote:

I set up separate accounts on my Mac for each of my 2 devices, and separate iTunes accounts. That helped. (One is on iOS 3, the other on 6.) Not very elegant, but it works.

How will it work?

iTunes will see all updates for any app in your library wiithout regards to iDevices.

Just ignore all app updates on iTunes on the computer (which was previously suggested).

and you have separate AppleIDs for each library/device?

Ignore App Updates That Can't Work On iDevice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.