Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks won't download

The OS X Mavericks update started to upload on my computer, but I had to restart the computer. After the restart, nothing happens after I click the "install app" button in the store.

- I tried to drag the partial file to the trash can and delete it, but that didn't help.

- I tried restarting my computer again, but that didn't help. I tried closing the app store, but that didn't help.

- There's nothing listed for Mavericks in the "purchases" or "updates" tabs.

- There's also nothing listed for Mavericks in the Applications folder.

Any suggestions for how I can get it to upload?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 8:55 PM

22 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:21 AM in response to mytwilight

I'm having the same issue with similar initial conditions. I started downloading Mavericks, in parallel, I ran disk utility to repair permissions, during which time I paused the download. I repaired permissions, verified the disk, it needed repair, I booted up the standalone partition and repaired the disk, then rebooted. in the Mac app store, Mavericks is listed under purchases, and says to the right, "Download". I click that, it goes blank for a few seconds, then the "download" comes back. There is no partial download in the Apps folder or anywhere else, I checked using terminal and did a find of the entire disk starting at / looking for *Mavericks*. I also tried "Check for unfinished downloads", and it says everything is downloaded, but it just won't download again.

I've also tried option-click, ctrl-click, command-click, and shift versions of these to click on the download, and behavior is the same.

Is there a direct download link I can use, or is there some way to just reset the purchase history, I think there is some confused state in App Store either on the computer or online. This happened last night, and is still happening this morning, so I don't think its just overloaded servers, its something else, our other computers have updated just fine.

Oct 23, 2013 1:51 PM in response to gb14772

I've had success. Additional things I tried, search for any AppStore files, I found a .plist file in /System/Library/something, and saved state in /Library/somethingelse. renamed those files, still nothing.

Next up was to use a different login for the app store, I had been using my wife's account, it's her computer, so I tried logging in as me, I had already downloaded/installed Mavericks on a different computer. It behaved the same, wouldn't download.

Next up was to log into the computer as Administrator. Logged into AppStore as my wife, same thing, wouldn't download.

So my next plan was to back up the computer, wipe the disk, clean install of Lion, and try again, but I'm impatient. So I tried one more thing while it was backing up, I created a new app store account, and low and behold, it now downloading, using the original login to OS X.

It's downloading now, I'll complete the backup anyway, then install it. Give this a try, it may work.

Oct 23, 2013 1:54 PM in response to PeetrRabbit

PeetrRabbit wrote:

Now I can't get it to even show up in Purchases...

It disappeared from purchases for me when I clicked the little "x" thing to the left of the download button, I thought it would just remove a partial download, but it removed the purchase. It's actually not removed, it's just hidden. In AppStore, go to your account, and there was a button there to unhide purchases. I forget the exact sequence, I did that last night, but it brought Mavericks back to the purchases page.

Oct 23, 2013 2:17 PM in response to gb14772

This was it for me.

Mavericks had been hidden. Easy to restore if you go and look at your account on the store.

And apparently - things that have been hidden can't be redownloaded.

So once you unhide it - downloading it again works.

Thank you.

As a side note - downloading did work, and the button to 'download' changed to 'downloading'... it still didn't show up in purchases for another 20 minutes or so after unhiding... 🙂

- Peter

Oct 24, 2013 12:13 AM in response to mytwilight

I had to log in and log out about 10 times, but now it's finally showing the "downloading" button.

So here's the solution for others looking for one:

1) Go to "view my account" and show the hidden Mavericks purchase again.

2) See if the "downloading" button appears.

3) If not, try to log out of the account and log back in. It took me a few times, but finally it popped up again! (Hopefully it's actually downloading!)

Oct 24, 2013 5:22 AM in response to mytwilight

I had this problem. To solve it I removed the mavericks waiting icon from the dock. I then went to the app store and clicked on the purchases tab (icon). I then clicked on the x next to download button. This removed from my purchases. I then restarted my computer and went back into the app store. The mavericks icon was back to normal and so I then clicked it. The mavericks downloading appeared in the dock and on the app store again this time it was downloading no waiting. It had no problems downloading. The purchases tab in the app store was blank but that doesn't matter because I have it dowloaded by the time you read this. I also tried this update as I was using snow leopard http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1512 there maybe a similar update for your os x as this worked for me.

Mavericks won't download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.