Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort iMovies 10.0 events by date

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is an obvious fix, but since updating to iMovie 10.0 I've found that all my events listed under "iMovie Library" in the left pane can only be listed alphabetically. The View > Sort by> menu option doesn't change the order. In iMovie 9.0.9 (which thankfully I still have installed), everything is neatly organised in the Event Library by year, and then chronilogically under each of those years.

Am I imagining things, or has the new version failed to import the date stamps for each event? There doesn't seem to be anything that identifies when each imported event was filmed.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Giuseppe

iMovie 10.0-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 10:42 PM

44 replies

Oct 22, 2013 11:58 PM in response to giuseppemar

I'm having the same issues but even worse. None of the date stamps from the old version of iMovie imported into the new version for me! So all of my events reverted back to the date that I originally imported them. When I adjusted the date and time of a specific clip, it did NOT update the date and time of the event. So I have a clip that is dated 12/9/04 in an event that still shows a date of 4/27/10. In my All Events view, I don't even have the option to sort by date either. It seems that the only thing you can sort by date is the clips within an event. Can't sort events by date and can't change the date of an event. Not sure where to go from here except wait for this seemingly obvious bug to get fixed!

Oct 23, 2013 4:10 AM in response to giuseppemar

More date stamp woes - applying to imported Projects - all my previous iMove 9 projects imported to the iMovie 10 library show a timestamp (the only timestamp I can coax out of iMovie) of the instant the Project was imported into the new library - i.e. this morning (a few mins apart). I would prefer for the original datestamp of when I last modified the original.

I echo the comments on grouping of events into years.

And I wish iMove 10 didn't crash so often - just died for the sixth time today ... guess there'll be an iMove 10.0.1 update fairly rapidly with all these crash reports heading back to Apple to sort some of these stability issues.

Oct 26, 2013 5:07 AM in response to giuseppemar

For me, sorting events is quite a must, so I had to rename all my events with the date in front of the event name. Now, the events are sorted in the library alphabetically.

Sorting events is NOT possible with the 10.0 version of iMovie.

Sorting clips inside an event is POSSIBLE using View > Sort by ...

If you want to sort events in the library, the View > Sort by ... is available, but all the sorting options are greyed out.

Too bad.

Oct 27, 2013 10:55 AM in response to giuseppemar

I have the same issue plus I can't even resize the column on the left to reveal more of the titles I used for my videos.

This is such as disppointment since I rely on the segregation by year and by date in order to pinpoint key evenst in the life of my kids.

Apple has really botched up this upgrade. I do hope they revert to the old layout and manner in which videos are organized but keeping the new tools.

Oct 27, 2013 11:37 AM in response to giuseppemar

I echo this post, not being able to sort events by date seems like a completely illogical ommission. Even worse, the dates of my imported clips within iPhoto 10 are completely jacked up. They are still correct in iMovie 9 though, and sorted properly as well. Bizarrely, when I checked the creation dates on the source files within the original iMovie Events folder, those are wrong – they're the dates showing up in iPhoto 10. I have no clue what's going on, but I can't imagine having to manually change the dates of every single stinking clip in iMovie 10. If anyone has any clue what's going on, I'd love to hear it.

Oct 27, 2013 6:07 PM in response to kbolenba

I want to echo what this poster has mentioned. I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I really wanted to play around with iMovie 10.0 but until this MAJOR bug gets fixed I'll stick to FinalCutProX. I was hoping it would be a nice program to use when I didn't want the complexity of FCPX because of the huge learning curve I'm currently dealing with.

Hopefully Apple will get this fixed soon.

Thanks.

Sort iMovies 10.0 events by date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.