Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac wont update and is missing data.

My imac is not updateing and trying everything doesnt help. I reasently installed Paralles and had to contact help line for them to assist in loading it. They told me i was missing important data namely

grep

whoami

chown

stat

Which means nothing to me. I have Time Machine and my data is backed up.

Should I eraze the imac and reload Mountain Lion.

Any help would be great as iTunes is out of date and I cant install any Apple updates.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:29 AM

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/usr/bin/grep

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services â–¹ Show Info

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open. Does the dialog show "You can only read" in the Sharing & Permissions section?

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it ( command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 10:29 AM in response to hyphenlh

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/usr/bin/grep

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services â–¹ Show Info

from the contextual menu.* An Info dialog should open. Does the dialog show "You can only read" in the Sharing & Permissions section?

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Open a TextEdit window and paste into it ( command-V). Select the line you just pasted and continue as above.

Oct 25, 2013 12:34 AM in response to Linc Davis

Last login: Wed Oct 23 08:51:20 on console

Richard-Lloyd-Hughess-iMac-2:~ richardlloyd-hughes$ /usr/bin/grep ; exit;

usage: grep [-abcDEFGHhIiJLlmnOoPqRSsUVvwxZ] [-A num] [-B num] [-C[num]]

[-e pattern] [-f file] [--binary-files=value] [--color=when]

[--context[=num]] [--directories=action] [--label] [--line-buffered]

[--null] [pattern] [file ...]

logout

[Process completed]

This is what came up

Oct 25, 2013 10:45 AM in response to hyphenlh

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you may need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

My iMac wont update and is missing data.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.