Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move Adobe apps to another monitor in Mavericks?

Hi guys, sorry if I'm being obtuse, but since upgrading to Mavericks the one issue I can't seem to figure out is how to completely move my adobe apps across to another monitor.

The problem is now that apps like Illustrator CC, InDesign CC and the like- those with free floating palettes, seem to be stuck on my little 13.3 inch macbook screen unless I move each palette individually to the big screen, but then the menu bar remains on the little MBP screen. If I do anything to the workspace it all then snaps back to the little screen. In ML it seemed to treat the large screen as the primary display automatically and so this was never a problem.

I've let Adobe CC update everything, added mavericks updates, etc but still not having any luck. So far the only option i've found is to mirror the displays, which, honestly, defeats the purpose.

Is there anything I can do? This is a huge workflow issue for me because I do a lot of work on my macbook while connected to a 23" Samsung display via thunderbolt/DVI adapter. I love the size and weight of the smaller macbook but as a primary screen, 13.3 inches just isn't as comfortable to work on as 23 inches

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), mid 2012, 13.3 inch

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 11:00 PM

17 replies

Oct 22, 2013 11:33 PM in response to sewercat

Ah ha! yep, that did it. I had no idea I could drag the menu bar to a different display.

Thanks!

My hard drive burnt out last night, so after getting an SSD to replace it, reinstalling ML and all my apps, restoring all my files and then getting the prompt to install Mavericks I was just kind of sullenly resigned to wiping it again and going back to ML.

You saved me a bunch of time there.

Oct 24, 2013 11:28 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

@TheSmokeMonster

Great tip!

Using the application frame setting on my Adobe CS5.5 apps has fixed an issue I had when switching from an apps desktop to another (I have all my Adobe apps set on different desktops to avoid clutter) if I didn't have an open document in the app I was switching to I'd have to show all my desktops and manually select it. Not now!

How can I give you points for this tip?

May 30, 2014 12:17 PM in response to sewercat

Hello, not sure if it is a new thing since the original question, but now instead of dragging the menu bar in settings, you can just right click on the illustrator's icon on the dock and set assignment in options menu.

Like so:

1.Open app (Illustrator)

2.Right click on app's icon on the dock

3.Options

4.(Allign to) Desktop 1/Desktop 2/.../Desktop n (where n is the finite number of desktops)

5.Done

It works smoother for me, than swopping the menu bar all the time.

Mar 19, 2015 1:12 PM in response to sewercat

I have this same problem. The other day I solved it using CfMcBlob's first solution, and I was very pleased. However, the problem is happening again with InDesign, but this time I can't try the same solution because "Displays have separate Spaces" is already unchecked.

Just to reiterate, I can drag my workspace window to my second monitor, but all of the tools and top menu stay over on my first monitor. I know that the "actual menu" has to stay on one monitor, but indesign has a top bar with several tools in it that I use all the time, and I'm having to go back and forth. When I first solved this problem, the entire window with the menu bar and tools would open on my other monitor.

Also, I do not want the second solution, because I still use many applications on my original monitor, and I don't want to lose having the "real" top menu here on the left.

Thanks in advance!

How do I move Adobe apps to another monitor in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.