Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock on Dual Monitors not working correctly

Hey Guys,

Is anyone else having issues with the dock running on dual monitors?

I have my dock hide and show and when I move to one display, the dock won't show unless I repeatedly move my mouse to the bottom of the screen and wiggle it around.

It's meant to just show and hide on the display where your cursor is.

It's just not working as smoothly as it's supposed to.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mid-2012 Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 22, 2013 11:25 PM

13 replies

Oct 24, 2013 4:53 AM in response to rohan3au

Ok, the "problem" is this (not really) a problem:

When you go to your second screen, and summon the dock, and then go back to Mac the dock is not showing. It is because you need to scroll with your mouse to the bottom, and just when you think it is the end, you scroll some more. It is "bug" but thats how you summon a dock on eaither screen.

Once again: Scroll with mouse to the bottom, and then some more

Oct 23, 2013 7:58 AM in response to rohan3au

I'm having similar issues. Sometimes it isn't working at all. And when it is, the response time is very slow. Takes a second or two, which obviously doesn't sound like much but is a big interruption in workflow.

I also noticed that when I turn off "automatically hide/show dock", the dock still only appears on one screen at a time. I would have expected this to cause it to always be present on both screens, just as the menu bar is.

I prefer it to automatically hide and show anyways, but I assume the fact that it doesn't show up on both screens is tied to the same issue of it being delayed in appearing.

It's almost as if it has to think about which screen to show on instead of just being there.

Oct 23, 2013 8:14 AM in response to SEMDI

For now, I'm leaving it on as I like the separate spaces and I'll just continue to use the dock on my main screen and not even try to get it on the other.

But we'll see. As I keep experimenting over the next few days I may end up playing with the settings as well.

Hopefully it won't be too long before Apple releases 10.9.01 and fixes some of these small bugs.

Oct 24, 2013 9:20 AM in response to rohan3au

I have an iMac connected to a second monitor via a HDMI adapter. The second monitor is a HDTV.

Try as I might, I can't get the dock or menu bar to activate on the second (external HDTV) monitor. If I click on the second monitor, the iMac (primary) display does dim the menu bar, indicating Mavericks properly thinks I am navigating on the other monitor. But nothing I do can make the menu bar and/or dock appear on that monitor.

As far as I can tell, it simply doesn't work. No huge loss - it isn't like I'm going to demand my money back for what I paid for OS10.9.

Oct 24, 2013 11:49 AM in response to eightzero

In settings > mission control you need to have option "Displays have separate spaces" checked. Turned on!

Then, on your second monitor check resolution. Maybe you have docks but its under the resolution on the bottom screen and you dont see it. Check options displays > arrangement > then on other screen set resolution and scale

Also, when on second monitor, scroll down with mouse, and when you think you hit the bottom, then scroll some more, it should appear

Oct 24, 2013 6:06 PM in response to zverko

I fiddled more with the screen resoultions on thr HDTV. I got the scaled desktop - it only uses about 90% of the screen now. But the dock display on it is *very* finnickey. You can park the mouse 1 pixel from the bottom, wait 10 seonds...and it pops up. Or, move it a few pixels left, and it will not pop up after any wait. It is *very* un-mac like.

Guessing we will see a 10.9.01 address it.

Nov 12, 2013 11:47 AM in response to zverko

Thanks zverko. I see exactly what you mean. Unfortunately for anyone running a cintiq display you cannot do this without taking your hands of the cintiq. For instance I have my touchpad disabled when the cintiq is plugged in, meaning I have to go to settings and turn it back on to do this. That for me though is not a possibility. It's an annoyance to do this constantly during production work. I also hope this is addressed soon because it is a pleasure to have the dock on both screens. For now I will just use zverko's workaround to get it displayed on the cintiq where I will leave it.

Mar 4, 2014 8:55 AM in response to eightzero

Hello!

Not sure if anyone figured this one out but you can move the dock from the Display Preferences.

In my example the dock is in the center screen, represented by the white bar at the top. To change it to a different screen, click and drag the white bar to another screen! So if I want to change the bar from center screen to the right screen, the final product would look like the second pic.

Hope this helps some folks!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 21, 2014 6:36 AM in response to rohan3au

I had a similar issue that ended up being how the monitors were arranged. If I moved the arrangement of my monitors that the side where the dock is set to come up is not sharing common overlap with my main screen, then the dock will appear. If for say you have dock set for bottom and your new screen is arranged to be slightly on top of your main screen, then the dock wouldn't show. I moved over to left and a little down and I was fine.

User uploaded file

Dock on Dual Monitors not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.