Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

maps can't find my location

Upgraded to the new mavericks today.

In the map application my location is not found.

I have location services enabled for the map app in my preferences.

In the log I see the following 2 messages:

10/23/13 3:10:30.612 AM Maps[667]: Retry to locate user

10/23/13 3:11:15.778 AM locationd[89]: NETWORK: requery, 0, 0, 0, 1, items, fQueryRetries, 0, fLastRetryTimestamp, 404203946.8

Do not see any errors anywhere.

Has anyone gotten this to work or have any ideas?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:23 AM

15 replies

Oct 23, 2013 3:54 AM in response to dalupus

I think I know what the problem was. As soon as you click the top left icon, the arrow-like one, it tells you that you need wifi on to locate your device. If you do so, the location service will work.
I usually don't have it on on my desktop machine because it's connected using Lan cable, so I was having the same problem as you.

Just to try it out, I turned the wifi off again, and I still can get directions, as long as I don't use the "Current Location" in either the "Start" or "End".

Hope it helps 😉

Oct 24, 2013 9:08 PM in response to dalupus

Because that's not how it works.

WiFi-based location works when your WiFi router (or those around you) are registered in the database that Apple uses to locate computers. If the access points aren't in the database, you can't be located. If you're in an out-of-the-way location, perhaps the access points haven't been recorded and registered.

Your phones with their GPS cannot report the location of the access points back to Apple, as far as I know.

Jan 23, 2014 11:23 AM in response to dalupus

Thanks for the fix with the WiFi having to be turned on. I have a Mac Mini, connected to my router via cable and had WiFi off, location couldnt be found. Turned on the WiFi, but did not connect to anything via WiFi, location found...makes no sense to me seeing how my WiFi is not connected to anything but it was able to find my location with just it being on...oh well, glad it works now. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2014 4:02 PM in response to Nickolus

Nickolus wrote:

Turned on the WiFi, but did not connect to anything via WiFi, location found...makes no sense to me seeing how my WiFi is not connected to anything but it was able to find my location with just it being on...oh well, glad it works now. Thanks!

It doesn't need to connect. It looks at the SSID's nearby and triangulates a location based on the known locations of those SSID's.

maps can't find my location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.