Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Endnote X5 won't run on OS X Mavericks

I just updated OS X from Moutain Lion to Mavericks. Only one software couldn't be run on Maverick. It showed up the message "Unable to load: /Application/Endnote X5/Endnote X5.app/Resources/ENCore.bundle

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:41 AM

35 replies

Oct 24, 2013 5:43 AM in response to Tae365

I was running Pages 09 and Mountain Lion. Upgraded to Mavericks which killed Endnote. Got the same error: Unable to load: /Applications/Endnote X4/EndNote X4.app/Contents/Resources/EndCore.bundle

I have decided to cut my losses and restore my system to its pre-Mavericks condition. This has worked and I doubt I will be trying to update to Mavericks until my work is complete.

If you have a Time Machine backup, this is what you need to do (quoting Apple). Hope this helps someone out there.

"If you use Time Machine to back up your computer, you can easily revert to a previous version of OS X if you experience trouble after installing an update.

1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  2. Select “Restore from a Time Machine Backup,” and then click Continue.
  3. Select your Time Machine backup disk.
  4. Select the Time Machine backup you want to restore. To restore your computer to the state it was in before you installed the new version of OS X, choose the most recent backup.
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions."

Oct 24, 2013 1:17 PM in response to Tae365

I had the same problem and installed Endnote 6.0.2 which will run fine on Mavericks.

HOWEVER, the Endnote functionality in the new version of pages (5.0) is still unavailable. Endnote menu items are grayed out.

In contrast, Endnote 6.0.2 does seem to work with pages 4.3 under Mavericks.

I used to be a real fan of the simplicity and functionality of the iwork suite but am thoroughly disappointed with the reduced functionality and overall organisation of the new iwork package.

Oct 26, 2013 4:58 AM in response to gs-mac

Thanks for the acknowledgement, gs-mac. Yup, I wish I had a better solution for us but at the time of writing, with soooo much long form writing and editing to get through, I (like you) can't be without a working system as far as Pages & Endnote goes.

By the sounds of it, Pages 5.0 is being criticised quite heavily for its feature reduction too, so this might actually be for the best until Apple restores some basic 'power' features via some basic updates.

Re: Endnote. If I could get a Pages 5.0 document to work with Endnote web I might not be so troubled. Alas, the Endnote web plugin only works with MS Word for Mac (?!) and I have *no* intention to go back to Word ever after I ditched the gibberish that is Windows seven or so years ago.

If anyone from Apple or Endnote is listening, please can you just get the following figured out:

Get Endnote citations in Pages to sync with Endnote Web and update the Endnote cloud-based bibliography on the fly.

That would go a long way to solving the issues. I could then work in the cloud and not worry about needing the latest version of Endnote, which breaks every yearly Mac OS release.

Endnote: just put Endnote Web in the Mac App Store and by all means charge for the bibliography/research cloud service. But do it right and not at a stupid price. I really wouldn't mind. But don't waste my time anymore because I'm losing patience with your whole, frankly brainless, approach.

Oct 27, 2013 1:00 PM in response to scubagirl14

Hi scubagirl14.

I nearly had a heart attack when i couldn't open my EndNote 5 library this morning. Thanks to this forum I downloaded the EndNote 7 free trial this morning and it works without a hitch. Should get me through to the end of this trimester (an will encourage me to get my final assignment done a bit early!). Good luck.

Endnote X5 won't run on OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.