Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari bookmarks menu and favorites bar combined

I've upgraded to Mavericks. One of the things I noticed has changed in Safari is the bookmarks menu.

User uploaded file

When I go to the Bookmarks menu at the top, the Favorites Bar (here 'Favorietenbalk' in the Dutch version) is placed at it's bottom. Every time I enter a new bookmark it is placed at the bottom of the Booksmarks menu but always on top of the Favorites Bar folder. Shouldn't this Favorites Bar be outside the Bookmarks menu? Also there is a bookmark 'Google' at the bottom now. Which is part of my iPhone's bookmarks list. When I go to my iPhone's bookmarks they are listed as:

Favorites (folder)

History (folder)

Bookmarks Menu (folder)

Google (url)

My Vodafone (url)

When I delete the Google bookmark from my Mac it not only deletes the bookmark from my iPhone, but at the Mac at the bottom it now says 'no bookmarks in folder' and that line is in light grey. As if there is some invisible folder since when I enter the bookmarks editor there isn't some empty folder.

I guess it could be some iCloud thing as both Safari for Mac and Safari for iPhone are iCloud synched.

When I had Mountain Lion that 'Favorites Bar' folder and that Google bookmark weren't present in Safari for Mac at the bottom in the bookmarks menu. Can I hide that in Safari for Mac in Mavericks too somehow?

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:25 AM

11 replies

Oct 23, 2013 12:59 PM in response to fisherKing

Yes, indeed. Before it used to be the 'Bookmarks bar' I believe and seperated from the 'Bookmarks-menu' in the Bookmarks menu. Now it appears like the Bookmarks menu is like this:

First the bookmarks from the 'Bookmarks-menu', then the folder 'Favorites Bar' and lastly the bookmarks which are listed in the Sidebar under the 'Favorites Bar' and 'Bookmarks-menu' folder.

It seems a bit strange to me to put the Favorites Bar also in the Bookmarks menu as it is meant to be either in the Sidebar or as a toolbar at the top of the window.

The new bookmarks are outside the ones in the Bookmarks-menu. Those can also be moved into folders. Just like in the Bookmarks-menu. So why is the Bookmarks-menu still there I wonder.

But anyway, I would much rather prefer to have just the bookmarks in the Bookmarks-menu listed in the bookmarks menu of safari. And the favorites in the 2nd toolbar or in the sidebar. And the new bookmarks only in the sidebar. But in Safari 7 they all seem to be combined in the menu Bookmarks.

Oct 23, 2013 7:13 PM in response to Jiggy1965

I was confused by this bookmarks arrangement also. I finally moved all my bookmarks out of the "Bookmarks Menu" folder, and then the folder simply vanished! It is now gone from my Mavericks and iOS 7 bookmarks menus.

My guess is that the "Bookmarks Folder" has been retired in Safari 7 and iOS 7 but will continue to appear as long as you have boomarks in there from an older version of Safari.

Once you've emptied the "Bookmarks Folder", the actual Bookmarks menu works as expected. "Favorites Bar" folder listed at the top, followed by the rest of your bookmarks and collections.

Hope that helps...this was really bothering me also.

Oct 24, 2013 12:16 AM in response to David Sasser

This indeed worked. I went to the Safari Help files under 'Bookmarks' and there wasn't a mention of the old 'Bookmarks-menu' folder. So this too made me think that in Safari 7 that has disappeared and the new Bookmarks menu (the one also in the Sidebar) was used instead. At first the 'Bookmarks-menu' folder couldn't be deleted or have its name changed. It also had a different icon than a standard folder. So I thought it was still a special folder just lie the 'Favorites Bar' folder. But moving all bookmarks outside the 'Bookmarks-menu' folder made it disappear after all. Both in the sidebar as in the 'Edit Bookmarks' menu. And now 'Favorites Bar' is in the menu at the top again and all other bookmarks at the bottom in the same structure as it was before and every new bookmarks is at the bottom again.

Oct 24, 2013 12:31 AM in response to Jiggy1965

Noticed though that when adding a bookmark, that 'old' Bookmarks-menu folder is still present somewhere. And adding a bookmark to it makes it appear again. So I'm glad it disappears both on the Mac and iPhone when it's empty. But I'm still curious whether it is still part of Safari 7 and why.

At the top is the 'new' Bookmarks folder which I can select ('Bladwijzers'), then Top Sites and the Favorites Bar ('Favorietenbalk), but Bookmarks-menu ('Bladwijzermenu') is also still present there to select along with it's special icon. And then my own folders and bookmarks.

So why is the Bookmarks-menu folder - be it hidden when empty - still present in the 'Add Bookmark' menu?

User uploaded file

Jan 7, 2014 1:26 PM in response to David Sasser

Great thread- thanks everyone! I just moved to Safari 7 and Mavericks from Safari 5 and Lion. And this strange Bookmarks behavior was maddening!

FWIW- you can still see the "ghost of the Bookmarks Menu Folder". Choose "Add Bookmark...", then click the popup menu under "Add this page to..." The old folder and its icon will be there under the Favorites Bar items. And yes, if you choose that location for a new Bookmark, the retired Bookmarks Menu Folder will reappear and with it all the weird behavior for new bookmarks. Gaccchhhh!

On a related note- wanted to ask a question. When you choose Add Bookmark Folder from the Bookmarks menu, it seems to default to adding that Folder at the end of the Bookmarks menu. I would prefer that it add a new Folder at the bottom of the existing Folder list, not the bottom of my Bookmarks menu (that's where I always look for my latest Bookmarks, not a Folder). So for everyone else here, do you find that adding a new Folder sticks it at the bottom of your Bookmarks menu?

Thanks!

Dave

Feb 16, 2015 12:39 PM in response to Dave_K.

When I add new websites to the favorites folder how do I get them to display on the favourites bar. I have a few websites in the favorites bar now but when I try and add new ones they don't show up on the favorites bar. They used to until I installed IOS 8. Any help is much appreciated as I like the favorites bar but new websites aren't showing up like before.

Safari bookmarks menu and favorites bar combined

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.