Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get audio unit instruments to work in new Garageband?

I've updated to the new Garageband 10 and I can't for the life of me get audio unit instruments to work. How do I do this?

MacBook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:26 AM

26 replies

Oct 23, 2013 2:20 AM in response to Michael Johl

You have to use your older version of garageband. There's no nedd to downgrade since the application are different. Your old garageband should be in a folder named garageand 6.0.5 in your application folder. At first i thought it was because my audio units plugin were not 64bits but nope. They just deleted the possibility to have VST in garageband.

Oct 23, 2013 2:35 AM in response to cyberheater

From the Garageband manual.

Use Audio Units plug-ins

You can use Audio Units plug-ins in your GarageBand projects to add new sounds and effects. Some Audio Units may be installed on your computer, and many more are available from other sources. You can buy Audio Units plug-ins from a variety of third-party vendors, and find free Audio Units on the Internet.

There are two types of Audio Units plug-ins you can use in your projects:

Effects plug-ins: These include common audio effects such as reverb, compressors, delays, and other unique effects. You can use Audio Units effect plug-ins in individual tracks and in the master track.

Instrument plug-ins: These include pianos, organs, synthesizers and other keyboards, and other instruments. You can use Audio Units instrument plug-ins in software instrument tracks only.

You can add Audio Units plug-ins to a track (including the master track) in the Smart Controls pane.

By default, the Audio Units area is not visible in the Smart Control inspector. When you open a song that uses Audio Units, the Audio Units area is available in the Smart Controls pane, if Audio Units plug-ins are installed on your computer. You can change the Use Audio Units preference in the Audio/MIDI pane of GarageBand preferences. For more information, see Audio/MIDI preferences.

The maddening thing is that I managed to get a audio unit synth to work last night but I didn't save the project. Honestly. I'm not dreaming it.

Oct 23, 2013 7:01 AM in response to cyberheater

Not sure I can give the clearest explanation, but just been trying to do what you are!

If you click on New Track and create Software Instrument. For me, that default is Classic Electric Piano. With that new track selected, select Smart Controls button to bring up that window which shows a slider for Keyboard Sensitivity and also 8 (very skeumorphic...) knobs for tone, drive and so on.

But what about AUs? Drag the top of that Smart Control window up - and, oh, suddenly the AU options are there. They need to be pulled up into view.

Oct 23, 2013 8:46 AM in response to cyberheater

If there is a way. Please give me detailed instructions. Have you managed to use AU instruments in garageband?

Sorry, I could not get back earlier, but sarmoung solved it for you already, great 🙂

Yes, the audio unit instruments are working for me well, in exactly the same install location is in GarageBand '11. They simply continued to work in /Library/Audio/Components and /Library/Audio/VST.

And they are available from the Audio Units brick "AuInstruments" menu, once it is revealed by

showing the smart controls (View menu), clicking the "i" button in the smart controls to reveal the "Inspector" and enlarge the panel, as shown by sarmoung.

For example, to play the Zebralette instrument: Click the upper brick in the right column of the Audio Units brick (the lower will add effects, not instruments).

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

How do I get audio unit instruments to work in new Garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.