Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inserting images into header

In the previous version of Pages, I could have an image in the header.

This can be important because it can serve as a kind of letterhead fucntion.

It appears that in the new version of Pages that I have just downloaded, it is no longer possible.

This is very disappointing. Surely people must want to have images in headers loads and loads of times. How come such a simple, expected function has been removed?

Mac mini

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 1:45 AM

18 replies

Feb 21, 2014 12:35 PM in response to mwb1969

Hello Everyone, there is a very easy way to add an image to the header of every page of your document. Apple just changed the approach. I wish they had offered some migration advice, however they did not. So, here is what you do.

1. In the menu bar click on Insert > Choose. Select the image you want to add to your document.

You can also drag-and-drop media or copy-and-paste media into your document. The main point here is that you get the media (JPG, GIF, PNG, AI, PDF, Etc.) onto your page.

2. Position your media however you want it to appear on every page. Click on it and use the Format options to style it as desired.
  3. With the media still selected, yet positioned exactly where you want it to appear, in the menu bar click on Arrange > Section Masters > Move Object To Section Master.

That's it. Now that media (object) will be visible on every page of your document that uses the same Section Master. You can create additional section masters under Setup > Section.

Oct 23, 2013 2:11 AM in response to mwb1969

I also have the same question.

All my documents have company image headers and now when I open the old pages documents they are totally messed up.

1. I cannot insert one now. Why?

2. Does this mean i have to change all my documents that I have done so far?

By the way I have more than 10 mac users in my company, is this going to be a definite problem for all of us?

Oct 23, 2013 5:42 AM in response to mwb1969

Same problem here. Talked for 1,5 hours to an Apple Care rep. Problem exists on multiple computers.

When opening a '09 Pages doc in '13, graphics in tables are being removed and all graphics from the header. Seems like a major bug.

So until problem solved I will use previous Pages app. Do not to try to open them in '13; otherwise they are converted permanently!

Oct 23, 2013 5:52 AM in response to mwb1969

Same problem here. Totally screwed up my letterhead. I may have found a "fix," though. I happened to have the image that I was using in the header saved as a separate PDF, but I think it should work for image files. I opened the image in Preview, copied it, then pasted it into the body of the document. Then I resized it and dragged it up to the header and it landed there with no problem. I found, however, that once I dropped the image into the header it couldn't be moved. It appears that you have one shot to get it right (otherwise you'll have to undo and try again). In other words, I couldn't resize it easily once it was in the header. It took some trial and error, but I got it to work. But it really shouldn't be this difficult and we shouldn't have to be finding work-arounds for things that should be as simple as this.

Oct 23, 2013 5:58 AM in response to mwb1969

I found a solution to this problem. It is however only a solution for new documents. Opening older version documents still has this problem.

Since I am using Pages in Dutch I will not explain the full procedure but if you go into help and search for page-background you will find a way to have e.g. a logo on all pages of a specific section, without putting it into the header.

Please reply to this post if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Bas.

Oct 24, 2013 12:00 PM in response to mwb1969

I can't copy an image in the header section. This functionality was available in Pages '09 and now it disappeared. It is extremely important for some of us that create proposals and other work-related documents to be able to paste the logo of our company in all of the pages of the document. Doing complicated and manual work isn't in line with Apple's culture. Please fix.

Inserting images into header

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.