Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep mails as Unread for longer... re post from 2005!!

Hi,

Whilst searching for an answer to this issue I came across this question from back in 2005. It hasn't been answered and I can't find any other option but to re-ask it.

I too want to just preview a mail without it automatically being marked as Read. It must be simple to include an option for a time delay in furture software updates to solve this one... Please Apple!

"I like to keep track of emails I haven't replied to by leaving them marked as unread. However, if I glance at the content using the preview mode (which doesn't open the email), within a couple of seconds, the email gets marked as read. This is annoying since I then have to mark it as unread or else run the risk of forgetting about it.

In other programs, you have to actuall OPEN the email (not just take a peek in preview mode) to have it marked as read. Is there a way of setting the mail program to leave email marked as unread until it is actually opened?"

Any clues?

Many thanks

Andy

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/2GB SDRAM

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 12:31 AM

I have stumbled across and answer to a similar question posted in 2012.

Search for :

How do I stop Mail auto-reading emails

It is not possible apparently.

1 reply

Keep mails as Unread for longer... re post from 2005!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.