Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 export file

How to export the project to a file .mov? By default it is exported to .mp4 and then need to export by QuickTime.

iMovie '13 (10.0)-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:16 AM

6 replies

Oct 29, 2013 5:56 PM in response to AleksF

This I believe can be done with Quicktime player 10.3 and above. What I've done is the following:

1. Export the edited movie using iMovie File>>Share>>File... to whatever size you want (I've only tested the 720p). This resulted in a *.mp4 file (Mac PC compatible).
  2. Open the exported iMovie file using Quicktime player
  3. In Quicktime player, Go to File>>Export and choose one of the following:
  4. Choosing 480p or 720p will result in the *.mov extension
  5. Choosing iPad, iPhone, iPod touch & Apple TV will result in a *.m4v extension

I've only done this once so not sure if other export combinations work. Didn't find another way in iMovie at this time.

Nov 22, 2013 6:56 PM in response to AleksF

Imovie 9.0.9 uses quicktime pro to export hd files in 1080p and even larger, 2.7 and 4k. With the new imovie 10.0 you can only export at .mp4 1080 then you use that file in quicktime pro to export and convert as .mov however this new conversion is still missing much of the original video data. Apple has made us go from a large 500mb file down to a 75mb file causing compression then using that compressed file to make a new 500mb .mov file. We need the new imovie 10.0 to export with the same menu as the 9.0.9 to give us the choice of the extension as well as video quality scale, codec and constraints. I do love the imovie 10.0 video stabilization feature which is much better than in 9.0.9.

I use imovie for business and this lack of QT exportation is greatly hindering my workflow.

Mar 5, 2014 7:44 AM in response to AleksF

I just noticed that iMovie 11 (ver 9.0.9) is still installed on my hard drive, has anybody decided to get rid of iMovie 10.0.02? I really hate what they have done with iMovie and I would be much happier with the older version. My 2 cents

I'm wndering with Apple dumbed down the current version of iMovie in order to more people into their more $$$$$ expensive movie editing software final Cut Pro?

iMovie 10 export file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.