Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 7.0 not working properly in OSX Mavericks

I just downloaded and installed OSX Mavericks. Everything seems to be working great except for Safari. I have a Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM.

Safari opens, and works in 1 tab only. If you try to open a new tab, or open a page in a new tab, nothing happens. You can't get to the Safari Extensions, or Installed Plug-ins screens, because nothing happens when you click on them. If you try to go Full Screen, nothing happens except Safari freezes and will not respond. Besides all of that, if you hit the red button on the upper left to close Safari without "Quitting" safari, it has and error and says Sarafi Quit Unexpectedly. Is there anyway to wipe Safari 7 off of Mavericks and re-install it fresh? Don't care if I loose my settings/bookmarks etc.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:38 AM

12 replies

Oct 23, 2013 5:20 AM in response to toadstonemusic

At the moment there does not appear to be a separate installer for Safari 7. It comes as part of the Mavericks installer. You could reinstall Mavericks and that would reinstall Safari. Pacifist CharlesSoft — software you always wished someone would write can extract just the Safari installer, however.

You might try a few other things first, though:

1. boot into your recovery partition and repair your HD When to Run First Aid in Mountain Lion's Disk Utility - For Dummies (the title says ML, but it still applies to Mavericks)
  2. repair your permissions while you're at it
  3. a safe boot Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?
  4. a test user account Isolating an issue by using another user account
  5. remove the Safari .plist file
    1. hold down the option key
    2. in the Go menu in the finder, scroll down to Library
    3. in Library, find Preferences
    4. in Preferences, find com.apple.safari.plist and drag it to the trash
    5. restart
    6. you'll have to reenter your Safari prefs

Oct 23, 2013 7:32 AM in response to toadstonemusic

I figured out my problem! I had Glims installed.

You can download an uninstaller here:

http://www.machangout.com/node/9

After you mount it, and click the uninstaller, it says it won't work because it's an unidentified developer. So you have to right click and do Open, and then it will give you the option to open.

After I uninstalled it, Safari 7.0 works fine!

Jan 28, 2014 1:19 AM in response to MacMatt412

I have been having this same problem with Safari 6.1.1. After a while, the Command F function stops working and it beings to distorts the text, making it upside down and stacked on top of itself if you try to scroll down. It won't fix itself if you close out the tab and try again. I have been having to restart Safari to reset it. I tried disabling all extensions, though I had none visible in my list. Just to see if this would work, I just slid the tab to "Off" for all exensions, though again, I had none in the list. This seems to have fixed the problem...for now. I'm not too savvy on troubleshooting for Macs, which is part of my problem. Any thoughts?

Safari 7.0 not working properly in OSX Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.