Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else having endless Finder crashes in Mavericks?

I apparently installed Mavericks successfully on my early-2008 Core2Duo MacBook Pro. But as soon as I log in, the Finder goes into an endless loop of crashing. The crash report mentions something about an external process or access being the cause, if I recall correctly. But then it just lists a long line of system files and processes.

I removed all of my login items, but the crashes continue. The only way to get the Finder to function is to boot up in Safe Mode. I did that, in order to run all the available updates, but that did not cure the endless Finder crashes. Even reinstalled Mavericks -- waste of time.

I have used every version of OS X starting from 10.0, and this is the very first time I have been unable to get a new version running.

Anyone know a fix? I'm ready to erase my boot drive and copy over my Mountain Lion backup from its external drive.

MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHZ Core2Duo, Mac OS X (10.6), 4 GB RAM, SuperDrive

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:24 AM

26 replies

Oct 23, 2013 9:42 AM in response to paulimpola

EDIT: I have a similar problem, but I am stuck in the loop, so this is likely different.

I beleive it might be interaction with a third party install, Docker. I cannot get out of the crash loop. Safe boot gets a crash as well.

Searhing for "mavericks finder crash" and restricting to the past 24hrs you'll find others with the same problem but no solutions yet. Is there maybe a way to create a new admin user?

Oct 23, 2013 1:01 PM in response to paulimpola

Whilst I have not run Mavericks and Docker yet to verify the issue, I can confirm that Docker is not updated to support 10.8 or later, and does not claim to be compatible - www.blocksoft.net has made that clear for some time.

The main features of Docker are of less relevance in 10.8 and later due to changes to the Dock and compatibility issues introduced by new features in the Dock introduced by Apple. I do not recommend running Docker with OS X 10.8 or later.

Anyone else having endless Finder crashes in Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.