Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lookup Data returning any value that begins with the same letter

Hi their,

Im fairly new to using numbers however i have a good knowledge of excel, when i am doing a lookup for the value "bill oct" from table "data", Now i know their is no data for that but it is bringing any data back that starts with B.

I have "bill sept" in my data sheet and when i look up "Bill Oct" it brings up "bill sept" data, i can remove bill sept and it will just look for the next value begining with B.

Please excuse me if this has been asked however i wasnt able to find anything in the search.

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 4:49 AM

Hi Broom,

It seems that LOOKUP is finding a close match. Instead of LOOKUP, use VLOOKUP (to search columns) or HLOOKUP (to search rows). Those functions have "Close match" or "Exact match" parameters.

The Function button on the Toolbar will allow you to choose Function Browser to see the syntax of functions.

I am using Numbers'09 version 2.3 on a Mac running OS X 10.8.5

I have no idea how Numbers 3.x works 😉.

Regards,

Ian.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 4:49 AM in response to Br00m

Hi Broom,

It seems that LOOKUP is finding a close match. Instead of LOOKUP, use VLOOKUP (to search columns) or HLOOKUP (to search rows). Those functions have "Close match" or "Exact match" parameters.

The Function button on the Toolbar will allow you to choose Function Browser to see the syntax of functions.

I am using Numbers'09 version 2.3 on a Mac running OS X 10.8.5

I have no idea how Numbers 3.x works 😉.

Regards,

Ian.

Lookup Data returning any value that begins with the same letter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.