Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain on windows?

Hi,Can anyone help?

If I'm using icloud keychain at home on my Mac then come into work where I must use windows, how do I access websites where keychain has been remembering new 16 digit encrypted passwords?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:24 AM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2017 3:50 PM in response to Community User

In iOS11 it is simple to find the keychain stored in safari on your iDevice

Go to Settings>Accounts & Passwords>App & Website Passwords, the scroll to the item required for your window PC

You may need to enter your PIN or fingerprint to access the appropriate password - the enter into the app on your PC

previous versions of iOS are solved in previous answers

Oct 23, 2013 11:59 AM in response to Bigred25

Apperently not at all..

Gutted myself, as fed up managing passwords! Been waiting for the new keychain password and now i find that its of little use, as soon as you get to work and need to use a Windows machine. Sure Apple we would all love to not use Windows but sure 1000s of us HAVE TO at work etc..

Looks like after all this wait i wont be using keychain passwords then!

Oct 25, 2013 12:58 AM in response to Community User

Yeah got to admit to being very disappointed with keychain. I actually fail to see the point in releasing it at all. It only works on Safari for iOS and OSX. Not even Chrome or Firefox. And you can forget about Windows.

If you want to make complex passwords to remember across devices then best bet is something like 1Password which is stupidly expensive. And that doesn't integrate with Safari on iOS.

There's still no satisfactory way to manage passwords with iOS and OSX if you're not 100% within the Apple ecosystem.

Sadly won't be using it. Hopefully this is the first step towards something bigger, but I doubt it.

Nov 5, 2013 11:17 AM in response to AYRESM

A tool that is useful across all Operating Systems and browsers and is only $1 per month is lastpass.com. I have been using for over two years now with total satisfaction. I came here looking for an answer on the use of the Keychain service on my PC because I only use Apple products in the mobile world. It is clear that Apple still only sees itself as a standalone so I have renewed my service with LastPass once again. Thanks for the iOS update to fix a few things, but too bad on the KC service.

Nov 29, 2013 7:19 AM in response to AdamSK

There is a free utility that I use on my Windows machine called Keepass and it has a number of ports to OSX, Linux, Android, iOS etc.. I had been using it for everything when I was using windows and android but kind of transitioned to keychain as I moved to Mac and iOS. Unfortunately, their site is a little ambiguous and they list paid ports from the app store like KyPass Companion before they list their own free OSX version. The install itself for OSX had a few extra steps too. It's much more versatile than keychain though and has some nice features.

It has search and categorization features. It also lets you setup a keepass server that lets you access your database file remotely without having to carry it around on a USB key or store it in dropbox. The database file itself is encrypted and you have to login to it to use it, and from there it has a number of options to generate high security passwords for sites.

You can store a site's login page URL right in the database entry with the Key, along with other important info and open that page driectly from within Keepass via r-click menu or shortcut. It lets you use shortcuts to paste usernames and passwords directly into your broser too, although the process is more cumbersome than Keychain(open the page to login to, put your cursor in the login box, switch to keepass, press auto-type shortcut) It has a handy feature of letting you customize the auto-typing procedure per site, so sites like banks where they ask for the username on one page, then the password on a second page, which typically doesn't work with Keychain, you can set Keepass to automatically enter a custom series of keystrokes to fit the page, like type password, enter key, type password, enter key. or, if the site has multiple fields including username, password and account number or something, you can add additional fields to the database entry and setup the auto-typing to go type account number, tab, type username, tab, type password, tab, tab, enter

The biggest problem I had with it was remembering to always enter new passwords into it when I made new accounts on sites and to update it. It's not automatic like keychain. If you'd like to give it a try the download page is http://keepass.info/download.html

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom and look for the Mac OSX version though

KeePass 2.x for Mac OS X

Dec 1, 2013 9:44 PM in response to AxeBox360

It can indeed, and keeps the whole database encrypted. Forget that link I put up there though, with the xquartz and all that garbage. I can't even get it to open without crashing. Apparently the KeepassX for linux and OSX has a 2.0 version out now that can open the newer KDBX databases. The stupid Keepass site says keepassX only runs the 1.0 databases. Once you've waded through the terrible site full of old info the app itself is quite nice and very intuitive though

It seems to have all of the custom auto typing functionality of the windows KeePass so you can setup each key to open and automatically login to a page regardless of its username, password account type order etc. It also seems to have search and all of the caegorization and icon assignment functions. Just pass your KDBX database back and forth between your windows machine at work and your mac at home and It will keep everything there for you.

So , instead, go to keepassx.org, head to the news section and download the 2.0 alpha. Which, despite its alpha status has yet to give me any trouble on mavericks.

<Link Edited by Host>

iCloud Keychain on windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.