Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group Rows into Categories gone in new Numbers

Can't believe Apple ditched Group Rows into Categories just to make it compatible across web and iOS?

Am I going crazy or what?

This is how it used to be: http://support.apple.com/kb/VI139

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:39 AM

17 replies

Jun 2, 2014 10:39 AM in response to Veluto

the reason I liked more Numbers than Excell!

Actually I like Excel's pivot tables more than the old Categories, RIP.

Have you considered using SUMIFS and COUNTIFS?

User uploaded file

The big advantage to this formula-based approach (over both the old Numbers's Categories and Excel's Pivot Tables) is that the results are easily used for ongoing calculations or for making charts.

SG

Oct 19, 2014 8:24 AM in response to sjlawton

Simon,

Keeping a "missing" list is less satisfying now because it's so much shorter than it was back then. Categories (the subject of this thread) is still on it. So is ease of seeing how document will look in print. Also some niche things such as import of OFX files (from financial institutions).

Meanwhile, the "new" features list continues to grow: dramatically better cross-platform sync, much improved AppleScript support, easier Pop-Up Menu, improved Conditional Highlighting (Formatting), Interactive Charts, Transpose Rows and Columns.

SG

Oct 19, 2014 9:47 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks for that. One of my spreadsheets does make use of Categories so I would miss that.

I have another spreadsheet that makes extensive use of some complicated nested functions. In Numbers 2.3 I can edit the function at the top of the screen and expand that area to see the formula in its entirety. I'm a little worried that Numbers 3.5 doesn't easily cope with editing large formulas. Here is an example of one such formula:

=(VLOOKUP(B3,HL Holdings,MATCH(-1,HL Holdings :: $1:$1,0),FALSE)-VLOOKUP(B3,HL Holdings,MATCH(-5,HL Holdings :: $1:$1,0),FALSE))/VLOOKUP(B3,HL Holdings,MATCH(-5,HL Holdings :: $1:$1,0),FALSE)

Do you have a view on how well Numbers 3.5 manages entering/editing of such lengthy nested functions?

Thanks,

Simon.

Oct 19, 2014 10:26 AM in response to sjlawton

No that's a problem with the forum. Very irritating. Sometimes double-clicking the blue box helps to see the image, and sometimes it doesn't.

The image was of your formula above as it looks the Numbers 3.5 formula editor, which I had dragged large so formula occupied only about a third of the space (which could be made larger still, just by further dragging on the edges).

Once you learn how to resize the editor you won't have any problem handling very, very, very long formulas.

SG

Jan 9, 2015 6:06 AM in response to diogodasilva

Can anyone help me: I have a master table of data:

Date

month

Company

category

description

amount

7 January

Coop Nära

week shop

SEK298

7 January

Take Off

luxury

coffee

SEK68

I want to be able to create tables from this which can sort by "month" and "category", like an excel pivot table (i.e. updates automatically after I enter data in the master table, giving me 12 separate tables (Jan to Dec) each sorted by category.)

Jul 11, 2016 12:37 PM in response to SGIII

I'm having trouble visualizing what is happening here. How does the second parameter in the sumif become the first column in the new table? What points it there?

What does the third parameter (A2 Name) do since it never shows up in the new table? Why is it even in the formula at all?

I've tried figuring out what the fifth parameter does from the help file but cannot see what cell B1 has to do with anything at all in the new table or the old one. Why is it even there?

Is the first parameter in the sumifs always the one that is getting summarized?

Group Rows into Categories gone in new Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.