Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem dividing networks

Hi, we used to have 1 simple LAN, s/m: 255.255.255.0 with an OSX 10.5.8 server handling all DHCP/DNS requests no problems. Attached to that is a wifi access point (cisco) which allowed all wifi devices including iphones laptops or even the wifi port of mac minis to log on to the same network & access internet as well as our servers potentially. This was a security concern + we were running out of ip addresses.

So I have recently made a few changes & now have 2 networks , one ethernet one wifi, made possible by 2 interfaces coming out of the firewall connecting to our internal switches. Both networks have their own OSX DHCP server, s/m: 255.255.255.0 so they should be separate from each other. I re-configured the wifi box static ip for network 2 & rebooted each device, so that all wifi devices 'should' attach to network 2, & all ethernet devices should pick up a network 1 DHCP (& be able to see the servers).

Problem is, some macs have behaved as expected, but some that have an ethernet and wifi port have both ports picking up a network1 address, or both ports picking up network 2. I assumed it was cache-related & deleted the relevant .plist files from HD > Library > Preferences > System Configuration on the affected workstations. I also ran dscacheutil -flushcache from terminal & rebooted but this has not fixed it.

For the time being I have the affected machines' ethernet configured to a static ip outside of the dhcp range but some of these machines are laptops that need to go out of the building now and then so that will cause problems further down the line. Can anyone advise? Am I wrong to expect the wifi access point to distribute network 2 only addresses now that its LAN settings are configured for network 2?

Hope that makes sense, any suggestions appreciated.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:38 AM

There are no replies.

problem dividing networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.