Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 Keyboard - Annoying period key

In ios7, a period was added to the right of the keyboard in safari, making it just a touch shorter. This is resulting in an annoying side affect in that my search queries are looking like this:

"apple.updates.for.ios.7"

Is there any way to turn this off in the keyboard, or even specify a keyboard to always use? I hate having to look at the screen every time to see that the layout has changed.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 6:40 AM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2017 7:05 PM in response to gmy

Hello,

I still have this same concern. It's a bummer that Apple can't just take that '.' out of there, but the keyboard for Safari always has that period. I'm gonna start another post for iOS 11 regarding the same issue. The '.' next to the tiny space bar still exists and it just shouldn't. I wanted to let you know that four iOS versions later, not only is that still a problem, but me and thousands of other people want it removed. It's almost like the developers don't think have it in us to find the '.' on the keyboard that we have chosen in settings. Let's hope this get's resolved soon!

Oct 9, 2017 3:01 PM in response to exSnake

exSnake wrote:

Really annoying, I can’t believe that there isn’t any way to remove that stupid dot... it’s the most annoying thing in iOS from iOS 7... stupid dot, we must have the option to remove it ffs!!!

I don't think that you could install third party keyboards under iOS 7 but, you can now. There are lots of them out there. You should check some out and see if they work better for you. I've heard people speak well of Gboard.

Feb 13, 2014 12:40 PM in response to Articsine

@Articsine: isn't that a hardware keyboard? Selecting it doesn't fix the problem for me. The only software keyboard choices I see are QWERTY, AZERTY, and QWERTZ.

It seems that the software keyboard changes depending on what type of field you are typing in. Entering a URL, for example, is where I get that annoying keyboard with the short spacebar and period. When entering an email address, the spacebar is even shorter, to make room for the @ key. But while I'm typing this message, I have a long spacebar and no adjacent period.

I guess my problem is that I like to use the URL field as my primary search bar, so I end up hitting that blasted period all the time. Didn't the previous version of safari mobile have a google search field next to the URL field? I think that's why I never used to have this problem...

Dec 2, 2014 2:27 PM in response to gmy

still in ios 8... Super annoying, and no fix. The most annoying thing is trying other keyboards in IOS 8, and not only do they not work properly like the built in one, but when changing, you can actually see the space bar change after about one second.... It's like no! Just stay that way!

who types in URL's these days anyway!?!

now I must train my right handed brain to use my left thumb for spaces! So annoying!

iOS 7 Keyboard - Annoying period key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.