Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send mail after mavericks upgrade

MacPro user (mid2010)

I am using a third party email address and am currently with O2 Broadband. Since upgrading to Mavericks, I am unable to send emails using the Mail app.

My outgoing mail server is: relay.o2broadband.co.uk

And I'm using the default ports.

I am aware that O2 Broadband customers are being moved over to Sky but my account is still with O2 right now.

I can send mail just fine on my Laptop which is still running OSX 10.7 so I'm fairly convinced this issue has something to do with Mavericks.

Anyone else suffering the same issues? I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:12 AM

95 replies

Oct 23, 2013 2:03 PM in response to mike warren

I actually have this working now. I had to call my host and they walked me through it. I used the long way in, vs. just mail.mydomain.com Look on your host's email support page and there should be something called host. then some numbers perhaps? I'm on hostmonster.com So mine looked like this: host110.hostmonster.com

It worked for me. I also had to change the inbox port to 993 and the custom port is 465. I had to delete the SMTP servers and make them new, but, they work now, so that's okay!

I hope this makes sense and helps someone out!

Oct 23, 2013 2:55 PM in response to Richard Hayden

You sir, are a star!

I'd had no problems with deselecting use SSL, but I followed your lead in deleting all the outgoing servers I wasn't using (including the one I was trying to get to work) and starting from scratch.

My outgoing server name was: mail.mydomainname.com

and I followed up sn315on's advice to check my host's email configuration pages which prompted me to use Custom Port 26. It also required Authentication (Password) where I simply inputed my user name (my email address which I've spent all day trying to sort) and the Password.

In the main Advanced options, I left the port at 110 and Use SSL stays unchecked. Again I selected Password for Authentication.

Hope other peole are able to similarly sort out their outgoing mail problem. I'm not particularly tech savvy so I hope my explanation helped.

Oct 24, 2013 1:58 PM in response to mike warren

I have wasted an entire afternoon. Thanks alot, Apple--feels like I've been working on a Microsoft product all day. I have tried everything above--application-specific passwords, turning SSL off and on, rebooting MacBook Pro numerous times, etc. Now, whenever I quit Mail and fire it up again it sends another copy of the message in the Outbox and leaves the copy in the Outbox. Messages I manage on my iPhone 5s do not move into/out of the folders on my MBP.

Apparently Mavericks does not play well with GMail. Sure hope they figure out this nonsense--this is costing me very valuable time!

Oct 24, 2013 2:10 PM in response to Richard Hayden

Before I finally got it working (and I'm not even sure how), I tried PostBox and Airmail and had the exact same outgoing mail problem. So it appears that there is something more fundamental in the OS happening. From a couple of these other threads (and I read them all out of desperation...) it sounds like there's some funky sync thing that has to happen with certain host email configs, and Mavericks doesn't do it perfectly at first. Somehow (yes I'm showing my tech ignorance) some configs require a login to IMAP/POP3 immediately before allowing access to the SMTP to send, presumably in another attempt to block sending spam by third parties. The timing of the dual login has to be tighter in Mavericks? But this aligns with my experience in that an account (I had three that had problems) would receive an email and them boom the SMTP would work. So I tried sending an email from my phone to be received on the problem account and tried to send from that account right at the same time, and somehow it worked. Once it worked, it stayed working. However I still cannot get SSL (port 465) to work - I had to change everything to non-SSL on port 25 or 26. Even though my iPhone and iPad will work...

Can't send mail after mavericks upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.