Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse or Cursor Problems

I have started this thread to gather posts together about the widespread problems in Lion and Mountain Lion (in my case causing my Magic Mouse to be a paper weight and replaced by a 5 year old tethered mouse. If anyone finds that these problems have disappeared in Mavericks, please post here.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:00 AM

29 replies

Oct 24, 2013 8:25 AM in response to SteveKir

I have used Photoshop my entire computive life (coming on 20 years) and I've never had the disappearing cursor problem until sometime--not immediately, oddly--after upgrading to Mountain Lion. Now it happens with alamring frequency; and only in Photoshop (CS5), nothing else. I don't notice aything in particular, tool-wise, that instigates it, tho it certainly happens repeatedly with the dodge/burn tool. I just reinstalled PS yesterday and for a while it stopped doing it, but soon thereafter it recommenced its dirty tricks. It's pretty unacceptable, really. Easily triples the time it takes to do some jobs.

Oct 25, 2013 7:13 AM in response to SteveKir

No such luck for me. Running Mavericks on newer airbook with Illustrator CS5.1. The only way I can really see my cursor is to tilt the screen far back -using at a normal angle and I can barely see it. I actually contact Adobe yesterday and was told to try using a wired mouse. The CS rep actually went so far as to say that I should not use a wireless mouse with Illustrator.

Oct 26, 2013 2:11 AM in response to Qzuelic

Qzuelic wrote:

No such luck for me. Running Mavericks on newer airbook with Illustrator CS5.1. The only way I can really see my cursor is to tilt the screen far back -using at a normal angle and I can barely see it. I actually contact Adobe yesterday and was told to try using a wired mouse. The CS rep actually went so far as to say that I should not use a wireless mouse with Illustrator.

My Magic Mouse (Lion, Mountain Lion) has been a paper-weight for a long time now, due to the several mouse problems I have had. I switched to my old Kensington optical tethered mouse and have had only the smallest of problems. But now, sometimes my Trackpad has stopped working and needs re-pairing. I restart the iMac after pulling out the mains plug, wait for about 20 minutes (or less) and it solves the problem (until the next time).

I am in no hurry to try Mavericks. It will tke several months for my three utilities to catch up, and anyway I don't want to risk trouble. It's sad that the Apple rnagic has been replaced by frustration in so many people.

Oct 29, 2013 6:35 PM in response to Qzuelic

I am seeing the disappearing (very light) cursor with Illustrator CS 5 and Mavericks but I am only seeing it on my 2013 MacBook Air. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro I haven't checked for this on but it did not occur under Mountain Lion on that machine. My 2008 Mac Pro with a Radeon 5770 does not exhibit the problem with Mavericks.

Nov 7, 2013 5:00 PM in response to charlesl80

I installed Maveriks two days ago and it has started to have the same mouse problems that I have had since Summer 2011. I don't think it will ever be cured.

Also, Mavericks is having problems in putting Firewire external hard drives to sleep, even when dismounted from the Desktop:

I have reverted to Mountain Lion.

Nov 7, 2013 7:23 PM in response to andyg74

I have a Mac Pro (2008) and use a Wacom tablet and Magic Trackpad with it. I don't have any issues with the cursor.

I was recently using a Macbook Pro with external 24" monitor and corded Logitech mouse. No issues with cursor.

I just sold the Macbook Pro and got a new Air. Using a Mighty Mouse with the same external 24" monitor. Occasionally the cursor will simply disappear. This happens most frequently when I'm using Acrobat Professional 9, and I have the cursor inside of a field in a PDF form I've created. It's really frustrating and almost impossible to work in Acrobat.

Mouse or Cursor Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.