Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import iMovie 9 files into iMovie 10

Ok, so I installed Mavericks and iMovie 10. Everything looked great.

As I launch iMovie, I am informed that previous data needs to be imported into a new Library. I'm fine with that so I click OK. And then nothing happens. The software behaves as if it had finished importing, but not a single project from iMovie 9 gets imported.

I tried to import manually, and iMovie tells me that items such as "blah-blah/0000.data" are not recognized or cannot be imported and it only imports the completed film created for each project (the movies found in ProjectName.rcproject/Movies/") and nothing else. Not very useful since it makes them uneditable.

I tried trashing all the iMovie prefs I could find in the Preferences folder of my Library and the "UpdatedToiMovie10" files : it worked in getting iMovie 10 to behave as newly installed, but still no dice : nothing gets imported. As if my previous 41 projects didn't exist !

I was using iMovie 9.0.9 until yesterday.

Any ideas ?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), (15 inches late 2008)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:56 AM

I have this exact problem. Have you tried in addition to the above deleting the iMovie 10 download and downloading again?

24 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:47 AM in response to Pascal Lessard

I am having this same issue and I have projects to complete with a deadline of this Friday. Any help or solution to this issue is much appreciated. I had all my events and projects on a server, which in iMovie 9 it allowed access to the server of your choice to work from, freeing up your hard drive space. iMovie 10 does not seem to allow that functionality.. which is really not something I am very pleased with. I tried copying the files from the server into the movies/ directory and the folders still say "imovie events" and "imovie projects". Yet when trying to import into imovie by clicking the import button at the top, they are greyed out, just as Pascal described, and cannot be selected. Please, someone tell me there is a way to convert the project files or some special button to click to allow additional functionality that will allow the import of these "archive" type files!

Oct 23, 2013 11:02 AM in response to Pascal Lessard

I have possibly found a solution. Go to your Movies folder and delete the update to iMovie 10 files in the event folder and project folder (if there is one there). Then delete the newly created Library1 file and the Theatre file. Trash them. Then re-start iMovie. If like mine it opened with no events or projects. Under file there is a drop down menu toat says something like update projects and events. I am in the middle of doing that and so far so good. This allows the iMovie manager to locate the previous iMovie 9 database and upgrade. Just importing to iMovie 10 will not do the same I do not believe. Also, it stated that it will leave the iMovie Events and Project Database intact and allow you to run both. Great for backup but bad for HD space.

Oct 24, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Mike '77

Mike\'77,

Thank you for helping provide a solution! I am going through the update right now and I think it is working!!!

Yay! 🙂

Still wish there was the ability to have these projects stored on a server like before or a back up drive. Apple, if you are watching.. please, please consider this in the next update or future update! These files (as I am sure you have to be able to comprehend) are huge and slow down computer processing. With so much memory consumed by event footage and final video clips, I want to keep my MacPro hard drive as free as possible so it runs with max efficiency and speed.

Cannot import iMovie 9 files into iMovie 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.