Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change the login screen background on Mavericks?

None of the old tools such as Onyx or Loginox have been updated, and none of the previous manual methods of performing this seem to be working for me either.

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 7:59 AM

88 replies

Nov 18, 2018 12:12 PM in response to terriblewithcomputers

Thanks for the tip. However, the problem is not that the file gets automatically replaced. My custom image remains in the Resources directory after the reboot.

However, when I looked at the default NSTexturedFullScreenBackgroundColor.png file, it appears to be the old image (from Mountain Lion). Has anyone found the location of the new default background image?

Nov 18, 2018 12:11 PM in response to terriblewithcomputers

It's not even the same image. The NSTexturedFullScreenBackgroundColor.png that is there by default in Mavericks is not the same graphic as used on the login screen in Mavericks. It's a more plain gray color without texture.

Nov 18, 2018 12:11 PM in response to Konrad.

Ok, I replaced all four of those files and it is working sort of. However, our background is a navy blue and even using the gradient that parekhd suggested, it fades into the default gray which looks pretty ugly. Has anyone figured out how to change the color of the bottom 1/4ish of the screen or so?

Nov 18, 2018 12:11 PM in response to parekhd

Right, that's what I was assuming, too, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm working on an older 1280x800 mac, and a background image of 1280x1200 still leaves basically the same gray bar. I might try it once more with an extremely long dimension just to be sure, but I think the OS forces the gray area to be there.

Nov 18, 2018 12:11 PM in response to Konrad.

I was able to get it to work reasonably well. I still have a gray bar at the bottom, as I need the buttons to be visible. However, the gray bar fades to my custom background right at the top of the buttons so I think it is the best solution we can see for now. Both Onyx and Loginox are showing "in development", so I'm hoping for a working realease from one of them soon.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php

http://www.loginox.branox.com/

Oct 24, 2013 6:43 AM in response to Community User

Interesting. Maybe Apple made it a file that restores itself, or whatever the term would be. The sleepdisk is like that...if you delete the sleepdisk image file under /var, it recreates itself, unless you make it an immutable file, which you could try.

Put this into terminal to lock the file once you set it to the png you'd like.

sudo chflags uchg /system/library/frameworks/appkit.framework/versions/c/resources/NSTexturedfull screenbackgroundcolor.png

I got this from :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1480259

To delete it, there is another terminal command in that link, enter admin password to delete locked file, then restore it to the default background image file that you saved somewhere in a safe spot.

Might work!

Oct 26, 2013 12:30 PM in response to Community User

Navigate here : /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/LoginUIKit.framework

Then click on frameworks folder, click on LoginUICore.framework to open it, click resources and replace the 4 apple png images. Give the replacement images the same file name as the originals and backup the originals before changing anything in case something goes wrong.

Works for me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.