Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.9 - Preview 7.0 NOT showing retina-sized images

Just upgraded to 10.9 and love it. However, if I open an image in Preview, say 700 pixels x 300 pixels, Preview now shows the image at full "size" resolution at 700 pixels x 300 pixels, rather than the screen resolution of 350 x 150 (retina quality). If I open the same image in Pixelmator, the 700 pixels image appears hafl the size at 350 pixels wide (retina resolution).

On 10.8, Preview did display the correct retina resolution on images. But now, it's back to blowing it up twice retina size.

I only use Preview to "preview" images, so I'd like to see them in retina quality.

Bryan

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:08 AM

11 replies

Oct 23, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Furi0us.Bee

If you take a screenshot, and then view it in Preview at 100%, it shows perfectly retina. However, if you then take that screenshot image, open it in say Pixelmator, then simply export that image (same format, etc.), then open it in Preview, you get a double-sized image when viewing at 100%. Preview definitely has some issues handling retina images.

Bryan

Oct 24, 2013 2:37 PM in response to xuele.liu

In the meantime, I bought LilyView. You can try it here: http://lilyviewapp.com

Very simple image editor. I need this for quick looks at images. No frills, although you can cycle through all images in a folder, but it seems to sort them strange. But I just need it to view single images mostly.

Hopefully Preview can come back to support my retina.

Bryan

PS. I'm probably going to do a clean install this weekend, and I'll see if any issues come up with a fresh install.

Oct 25, 2013 8:26 AM in response to Furi0us.Bee

Having the same issue with Preview app not rendering correctly Retina resolution after upgrading to Mavericks.

It is quite annoying, i bought retina (instead of non retina) macbook pro in order to have high resolution graphics rendering.

Hope they address this quickly or otherwise people will have to migrate to other software for a simple image viewing.

macbook pro retina 15" mid 2012

Sep 29, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Furi0us.Bee

When you take a full screen screenshot, the following metadata is added to the file:

kMDItemIsScreenCapture 1

Preview and quick look check the file's metadata for this flag, and display the file properly, at 2x

I tried setting the flag manually with:

xattr -w com.apple.metadata:kMDItemIsScreenCapture 1 filename.png

However, running this command

mdls -name kMDItemIsScreenCapture filename.png

returns:

kMDItemIsScreenCapture "1"

I can't get a number value saved as metadata, only the text "1" with quotes. If anyone can get the files tagged properly, please post.

OS 10.9 - Preview 7.0 NOT showing retina-sized images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.