Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logitech USB Microphone...I'm in a tunnel!!

Okay, my mother owns her own business and is looking to record a podcast so we went out to different stores in the area to purchase a good external microphone. We have a labtech, but it was a little flimsy in consitency. We found a Logitech USB "Desktop" microphone for $30 at a local retail store. We even asked the guy if this should satisfy our need when recording a podcast, and he said that it is probably the best choice.

Long story short. Plug in and play and change a couple of settings and it's ready to go...oops...spoke too soon. After recording in Garageband I play it back, and it sounds like I'm talking out of a tunnel, it has that type of echo. This is supposed to be a noise-cancelling microphone. Am I missing a setting, whats wrong? Plus when I record and playback in iMovie it works and sounds just fine.
Help me please.

Thanks

iMac G5 & iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 4, 2006 11:28 AM

8 replies

Jul 4, 2006 11:52 AM in response to HangTime

sorry bout that. Okay I plugged in the Microphone, went to system preference, and into the sound and changed the input to AK5370 USB, then into speech and changed the microphone to AK5370 USB. Finally I went into Garageband's preferences and changed the Audio/MIDI Audio Input to AK5370. The first two steps were via the intruction manual, however after the tunnel sounding echo I got, I went into Garageband and changed the AUDIO/MIDI files.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jul 4, 2006 11:59 AM in response to macmaniacs

Hmmm, I had hoped there'd be an obvious missed step, but you did everything correctly. I happen to have the same model mic (AK5370 though mine is from Labtech. Same innards, though, apparently) and just tried it and it sounded fine. Nowhere near as good as a pro mic, of course, but not bad at all for speech. Did you check to make sure no effects are on for the track? An easy way to do this is to create a New Basic Track, this will have no preset effects turned on (many of the presets have effects that may affect things in a way not to your liking).

Try New Basic Track and let us know if it helps.

--HangTime [Will Compute for Food] B-|>

Jul 5, 2006 1:15 PM in response to Christoph Drösser

I got mine for $11 on ebay and with a little EQ a piece of foam over the mic and a screen I get it to sound pretty good. Only problem I have is it will start to "Drop out" after a few minutes of recording. Then I have to stop the recording and start it. A few more minutes go by and it drops out again. Would definitely rather have the Samson though.

Jul 14, 2006 10:37 AM in response to macmaniacs

I've just opened up my Logitech microphone. The first time I plugged it in, I went to Sound and Speech and select AK5370 in the input drodowns. However, it wasn't picking up any sound.

I tried plugging the USB of the microphone and the keyboard into different plugs on the iMac, but no luck.

The next time I came back, I plugged the microphone into the keyboard and it said the port was drawing too much power and would shut down. I unplugged it, and now when I plug the mike into other USB ports I no longer see the mike in the input dropdowns. Any ideas?

IMac 17" Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Logitech USB Microphone...I'm in a tunnel!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.