Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this why it's free?

I feel a little like some unpaid beta testing is going on again. So many people complaining of this or that. I didn't like the way it installed - it sat for so long with less than a minute showing that I began to think it had was hanging. I had a clone so I wasn't worried, but not the nicest way to update. Things seem sluggish and buggy at times, with dmg's sometimes taking a time to eject, strange spikes in CPU usage requiring me to restart. The App store not showing its pages properly while downloading, etc. Little things I can't even remember now, but they just made me wonder whether it should be like this? This is supposed to be the latest and greatest, not let's get them all to finish it for us. Are Apple spreading themselves too thin I wonder. It is free and nobody has to update, so what are your feelings about getting a free upgrade that seems buggy?

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:31 AM

6 replies

Oct 23, 2013 8:44 AM in response to YourGoodFriend

YourGoodFriend wrote:

Well I updated and within 20 minutes it crashed, over 12 hours it crashed 4 times. Booted into my recovery and re-installed Mavericks and it has crashed twice since then (25 minutes ago) I will be "upgrading" back to mountain lion tonight if this continues as this is my work machine and having it crash is very detrimental to my work.

With respect ...

If your system is your "bread and butter", then it is best to install on a secondary/external drive to determine what the issues are. Then migrate to Mavericks fully when it tests out. Especially when the system first hit the street and hdoes not have the patches that will be coming in the next week.

I would, and I do not make money with my MBP.

Oct 23, 2013 9:11 AM in response to Simon-UK-

While admittedly had one minor issue during the upgrade process, everything went smooth for me. Often after upgrading the OS, previously installed applications or utilities can cause the computer system to crash or run slowly.

Have you checked to make sure that all of your Applications are compatible with Mavericks? If not, you may find updating third-party applications will improve your system performance.

Oct 23, 2013 12:19 PM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

YourGoodFriend wrote:

Well I updated and within 20 minutes it crashed, over 12 hours it crashed 4 times. Booted into my recovery and re-installed Mavericks and it has crashed twice since then (25 minutes ago) I will be "upgrading" back to mountain lion tonight if this continues as this is my work machine and having it crash is very detrimental to my work.

With respect ...

If your system is your "bread and butter", then it is best to install on a secondary/external drive to determine what the issues are. Then migrate to Mavericks fully when it tests out. Especially when the system first hit the street and hdoes not have the patches that will be coming in the next week.

I would, and I do not make money with my MBP.

Agreed it was not a smart move on my part, I got excited (like us dev.'s do) about new software (specifically multiple monitor support) and jumped that gun. I have since learned my mistake and won't be doing that again.

That being said, releasing an OS that crashes every 10 to 15 minutes...

I still like OSX and this will hopefully be fixed soon.

Is this why it's free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.