Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPhone 5 doesn't play music new snap adapter on my BMW has anyone else had this problem

my iPhone 5 doesn't playback music on my new snap in adapter on my BMW has anyone else had this problem

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:05 AM

96 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:51 PM in response to dgennaro

I have the answer to your problem.

You need the iPhone 5 Snap-in adapter "music/media" version (OEM # 84212351309). This product will not be available until January of 2014.

Right now the "basic" (OEM # 84212351307) and "connect" (OEM # 84212351308) versions have been released. They only support charging and signal boosting functions. I have personally tried both of these adapter models in my 2011 BMW 328i with smartphone integration and I can verify that they DID NOT play music. I did some research and it looks like we will all have to hang tight until january for the music adapter.

PS you can find the OEM part number on the back of the adapter itself. Its on a silver sticker.

Oct 25, 2013 10:46 AM in response to wegras

Even this does ot assure a correct part. I purchased the "309" part number at BMW of Mountain View (where I purchased my 2013 X1), and this is the part they specified based on my particular car. Of course it does not play music, so I left my car for them to trouble shoot. According to BMW/Mt. View the problem is the car Software, and they are uncertain when a fix/update might be available. They got their information from BMW Germany, but frankly Lauren's infor seems more credible. I've sent BMW service/Mt. View the info from Lauren's post, and will post any reply they give me. My 2013 X1 does have the technology package (includes iDrive), and is one configuration that does not work.

Oct 25, 2013 12:31 PM in response to wegras

Puzzeling. I tried two different adapters, both failed. After I scheduled my car to have this looked into the dealer received two more calls with the same problem (sorry I do not know their configurations). I can assure you the "308" adapter does not work in my car. My car spec as follows:

2013 BMW X1 - x drive2.8 - purchased one year ago. One of the first to be delivered to the USA - since you are in UK this could be the core of the issue. Perhaps different s/w for North America vs UK?

Technology package - includes iDrive and BMW apps, but NOT the rear view camera. I'm still ****** about this. The US web site did not offer the camera as an option, so I assumed it came with technology package. Even a toyota prius comes with rear view camera.

A few other things that are not likely to impact thr iPhone adapter

Message was edited by: johnfromsunnyvale My adapter is the "308" model. Sorry for the confusion.

Oct 26, 2013 2:59 PM in response to dgennaro

I have the same problem with BMW 335i, iPhone 5 with iOS7 and connect snap-in adapter that I bought last week. I have the 7.0.3 version of iOS and UPD01006 applied to BMW.

Music plays well over the USB-Lightning cable, but with the snap-in adapter (#84212351308) I can only see the song name, cover art, but no sound. Spoke with the local BMW, and they said that this is most likely related to iOS7 and had an other customer with the same issue, who claimed it worked with iOS6.I have now tried this with two different snap-in adapters so it is not hardware related. I don't have an iPhone5 with iOS6 to isolate, if this is indeed related to the iOS7.

I'm going to wait for a little while, if there is an update BMW software update tot he ConnectedDrive that would fix these issues. If not, I'm going to return the snap-in adapter and just revert to using the USB-Lightning cable, as it seems to work better, even though not all ConnectedDrive functionality is supported and it does not provide connectivity to the external atenna.

Would be good to have clear info from either Apple or BMW on this issue, as I'm pretty sure the problem affects all iPhone 5/5s iOS7 and BMW Apple iPhone 5/5S Connect snap-in adapter users.

Seems that this is not the only iOS7 issue BMW is dealing with. The latest BMW Connect app, version 2.2.0 has the following remark:

*** Note: Due to a change in iOS 7, switching between apps using the iDrive system is currently not possible. You can currently only start ”BMW Apps ready” apps before you start driving, on the iPhone screen. We are currently working on an update, that will be rolled out to all ”BMW Apps ready” apps soon. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. ***

Oct 26, 2013 3:41 PM in response to lauren191

I think the "Connect" version is the one with all options, including music and media playback. On BMW's web site, it is clearly states that music playback is included in the Connect Snap-In adapter:

BMW Apple iPhone 5/5S Connect Version Snap In Adapter, part # 84212351308

This adapter is for vehicles equipped with the Enhanced Bluetooth and Smart Phone Integration, BMW APPS, or NBT vehicles. For vehicles with Smart Phone Integration, this adapter not only charges the phone, but allows access to any music or MP3 files stored on the phone. In addition, it provides a connection to the roof mounted telephone antenna on your car for improved cellular reception. For vehicles with BMW APPS, this adapter is required to fully utilize all features of this option. In addition to the great features noted for Smart Phone integration, it allows you to use the “PlugIn” as well as the “Video Playback” features.

Oct 27, 2013 8:50 AM in response to P.Burnhill

That is correct I have it and it does exactly what it says on the tin on iPhone 5 and iOS7.0.3

Don't expect Apple to do anything It is BMW's responsibility to achieve compatibility with Apple and any other phone manufacturer

BMW will be registered Apple developers and will have full access to all hardware info and iOS Betas required to ensure compatibility

I finally found out what the enhanced B/T compatibility appeared to do having paid for it

my iPhone 5 doesn't play music new snap adapter on my BMW has anyone else had this problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.