Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iClouds documents and Data grayed out

I was hoping that Mavericks server would solve the issue where my clients, who are on networked home folders, could access icloud's documents and data. when a client is logged in, under the icloud prefrence pane the Documents & Data is grayed out and not accessible. that means no documents in the cloud that can be shared to a mobile device like the iPad. Is there a work around or a fix or something that I am not seeing.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Server

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:20 AM

11 replies

Oct 25, 2013 2:17 PM in response to David Urban

Having the exact same issue...works fine when logged in as a local user, but as soon as I login as a network user, the documents & data is greyed out (the only iCloud item). It is only the workstation with Mavericks...our other 8 machines with ML have no issue. We have yet to upgrade our server, which makes me wonder if it a network compatibility issue between the server and the Mavericks OS. We can't be the only two with this issue...

Oct 26, 2013 5:44 PM in response to basicly

I called apple today and they said that iCloud is a consumer product and the server is an enterprise product and they have it grated out on purpose. For server users he suggested using a WebDAV connection over a VPN. It sounds like a workaround and not right. I can see enterprise not wanting workers sharing data on their personal account and to use the enterprise solution. There needs to be a home server and a true enterprise version.

Dec 1, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Shaun Jackman

Hello David

I too are having the same issue.

If I create a local account on my mini - no problem - Documents and Data are checkable. Network users have exactly the same problem as you descibe - its greyed out and you can't tick it.

So it means I can't share iWork docs with my iOS devices , or applications (like OneSafe) that need this area to share data between my Macs, and iOS devices!!

However my server is 10.8 Mountain Lion (as I was having significant problems with Mavericks Server - see my other threads) and my client machices are Mavericks but I don't recall having the same problem when the clients were previously Mountain Lion (or does my memory fail me)

I presume there isnt' a (simple) work-around of kind?

Thanks and all the best

ROb

Feb 17, 2014 5:59 AM in response to basicly

It seems dumb as **** that an OS upgrade has broken something as simple as Notes synchronisation for Network Users of iCloud.

If this was a real problem surely the same failure would occur in Contacts, Calendars and Reminders?

And if it doesn't work, why isn't Notes greyed-out the same as Documents & Data

Time was when Apple would not have rolled this out half-arsed

AND would have had an explanatory tag for WHY a function is greyed-out

THEN the User might say - "Oh, OK" - and move on, instead of banging around for a non-existent solution

iClouds documents and Data grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.