Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 10.3 (Mavericks) breaks RTSP streaming

Hello,

I upgraded to Mavericks yesterday, which subsequently upgrades Quicktime Player to version 10.3. Since then, I am unable to open RTSP streams to the cameras in my home. I have desktop links that I have been using to open these streams, and this has been working perfectly until I upgraded to Mavericks. Now when I try to open the stream from the desktop links, or from File-->Open Location, I get the following error:

QuickTime Player can't open "live_mpeg4.sdp".

The file may be damaged or may not be a movie file that is compatible with QuickTime Player.

I could not find any mention of removal for support of RTSP streams in Mavericks default QT install.

Has anyone else seen this and or know of a fix? I would prefer not to have to use VLC just for this.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 9:37 AM

Thanks to a Macrumors.com user I found my answer:

QuickTime Player in 10.9 no longer falls back to the old QuickTime framework, so it will play just what AVFoundation can play. And RTSP streaming is not on the list. You can still install QuickTime Player 7 btw.

So it looks like it is VLC or QT7. Bummer.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 9:37 AM in response to aconnell

Thanks to a Macrumors.com user I found my answer:

QuickTime Player in 10.9 no longer falls back to the old QuickTime framework, so it will play just what AVFoundation can play. And RTSP streaming is not on the list. You can still install QuickTime Player 7 btw.

So it looks like it is VLC or QT7. Bummer.

Jan 26, 2014 3:32 PM in response to Heavy Duty!

I have the same issue. The QuickTime plugin will not work for either Safari nor Chrome (on Mavericks).

And I rely on RTSP video streaming. I use the Darwin Streaming Server, which is based on Apple's own QuickTime Streaming Server. What am I supposed to tell my clients? That Apple no longer support the video format that they once championed?

Yes, I can tell them to continue using QuickTime Player 7, but how much longer will that be available? And it's an inconvenience to have to install an older version of the Player. This is not user-friendly, which I had long believed was Apple's mantra.

This is unconscionable. QuickTime users will be fearful that eventually they will not benefit from efficient video streaming. I guess it's time for me to look for another video format. I have a lot of (unnecessary) work ahead of me, unless Apple add back RTSP support. F*ck you very much, Apple.

I'm giving Apple the Bad Apple:

User uploaded file

Quicktime 10.3 (Mavericks) breaks RTSP streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.