Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating Safari - i've got PDF problems

Hi folks,

yesterday i updated Safari to Version 6.1 (8537.71). Today i mentioned that i'm unable to open PDF-files. When i hit a link to a PDF file, Safari opens a new Tab and show something like this:

User uploaded file

Before the Update, Safari downloaded the .pdf to my Downloads-Folder and shows up the file in my favorit PDF-Viewer. Now i have to save the file manually with the .pdf extension in the namefield and open it by myself.

What is my problem, can someone help me?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:27 AM

16 replies

Oct 24, 2013 1:41 AM in response to Roy Tucker

Hi Roy,

this does the trick, PDF's are now shown in Safari - thanks. But they're not automatically downloaded. When i hit ALT on keyboard and klick on the PDF-link, Safari downloads an "url.html" instead of the pdf-file.

I unchecked "open safe files after downloading" in the preferences.

Other Tips to delete the files (under Library\Internet-Plugins):

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

brings me to my first problem.

Oct 28, 2013 8:06 AM in response to bam88

I have this same issue. I MUST open these files with Preview but the command line command I had before doesn't work any longer, I get the page of ASCII characters.

Before I used the following line:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

If I run this, I get the jibberish, but if I put NO or FALSE on the end, I get it to open in the browser, but for my margins and such to work correctly on our in house software, I must have it open in preview.

Thanks

Oct 30, 2013 4:06 PM in response to Roy Tucker

Can anyone help with this. I'm not very literate with command lines etc and I don't understand the last few posts. Bottom line is: I've uninstalled and reinstalled adobe reader, and the situation has improved in that instead of getting gibberish when I try to download a pdf I am getting some sort of inline version of the file in a safari window -- here is an example:

User uploaded file

-- but there is no downloaded pdf file anywhere. What I want is just a pdf file as before.

Can anyone help with this?

Oct 30, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Tomdbl

Hi Tomdbl,

If you right-click on the PDF link, you should get the option to downlaod the PDF to your computer. Also, when you (now) see the inline version, are there are few buttons at the botton of that screen? One (on the right of all the buttons) should be a download button. But right-clickiong on the link should always enable the download for you.

Oct 30, 2013 4:25 PM in response to tFromArizona

Hi tFromAZ,

thanks for this. I actually did try right clicking the pdf download icon but didn't get the option of downloading the document - just a whole lot of options for saving the icon image!

When I clicked the pdf icon on the right side of the bottom bar, I just got the document in a new window in safari, but not a pdf document. However, when I clicked the save icon on the left side of the bar, I got the option of saving the document as a pdf. So problem solved temporarily bit it's a pretty clunky solution. It would be good to just get a pdf file downloaded when you hit the download icon.

cheers

Tom

Nov 14, 2013 6:58 AM in response to bam88

Same problem after updating M.Lion/Safari. I had previously been enjoying having pdfs download unobtrusively for viewing later. Had no Adobe products installed, but now had gibberish.
The above command line (THANKS!) with FALSE restored viewing in Safari (which I despise nearly as much as the gibberish). Thankfully, Control-click Save File now works again.

Nov 19, 2013 1:31 PM in response to bam88

Has anyone discovered how to get back to pdf's just downloading and not displaying in the browser?

I can right click and download, but not all pdf links are setup like that some are redirected downloads, so for those I I have to use Firefox or Chrome.

How do we get no gibberish, and straight download of pdf links?

Since updating Safari - i've got PDF problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.