Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari new tab (Top sites) slow in Safari 7

Hi,

I updated to Safari 7 yesterday and everything is just perfect, but I have just one problem: when I open a new tab it opens Top sites and this exactly what I want, but when I hit Cmd-T (new tab) it takes literarly 3 seconds before the new tabs loads and I can use it. It even has a small glitch.I want to keep Top sites as my new tab, becasue I find it very usefull this way.

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced the same problem as me? And is there a solution for this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:55 AM

I think that I have found the solution. Reseting Safari and restarting my Macbook did the job!

9 replies

Oct 23, 2013 11:09 AM in response to Soroshd

I am having the same problem and restarting does not help. You should note that the 3 second delay only occurs when you start a new tab from a state of having no tabs. i.e. opening the 3rd tab seems smooth because safari has already drawn the tab area. Also this seems to be a problem when working in full screen mode. Try to see if you get the same problem under these conditions.

Oct 23, 2013 11:43 AM in response to michaelb1234

Yes exactly. After reseting and restarting it worked faster for a litle time. But I clearly see that Safari takes time to draw the tab area for the first time (full screen mode). And after opening a third tab and so on, it goes fine and smooth. I gues that it is a small bug that Apple still must fix. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Nov 7, 2013 8:41 PM in response to Soroshd

It must be a glitch. I have tried resetting Safari, restored Mavericks and played with every Safari setting but it did not help. One interesting thing I noticed is when I booted up from an external hard drive, Safari works flawlessly. Tabs open smoothly and there is no lag loading top site pages. Another thing is that when I type the URL of one of the pages from the top sites in a blank page there is no lag when loading up. Will keep trying.

Nov 13, 2013 10:09 AM in response to marioeg

I can back this up as definitely the thing to do.

I changed my sidebar selection from 'Shared Links' to 'Boomarks' and the delay no longer happens.

Its defiitely fetching the info from Twitter thats causing the annoying delay.

Its a shame, because the only reason I like the Sidebar is for all the twitter results 😟

At least no delay now that its either turned off, or something other than shared links is selected.

Safari new tab (Top sites) slow in Safari 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.