Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing, a Apple Raid Card

Hi All

I have got my hands on a Apple Raid card (Free), I have checked it all out and it is the correct model for my Mac Pro (early 2009 i believe). now came the fun bit

I opend the MP up and installed the card as shown in the instructions (not to hard as im tech savvy) turned it all on and nothing, no apple logo, just the white screen and the little apple bing startup sound.

do I have to do any prep first to install this ?

do I have to hold any special keys down on start up ?

I dont mind having to do a full frech install ? (I was planning this anyway with Mavericks just come out)

inside the MP I already have

20gb ram

ATI GPU

Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI in/out)

Esata pcie card

any help would be fantastic

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), FCPS3-FCPX, Adobe CS6, Aperture etc

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:47 AM

4 replies

Oct 25, 2013 3:04 PM in response to ada mann

The Apple RAID card is only necessary if you are going to set up RAID 5, which uses checksums on-the-fly. A simple Mirror or Stripe does not require the card and its restrictions to drives under 2.2TB or its bloody battery.

It MUST go in the specified slot. No other slot will do.

And you installed all new drives as well, Right? If not, you need to start over initializing those drives to get a proper RAID Driver on them. [And Initilaizing a drive erases everything on it, so you had better have TWO Backups before you begin.]

Mar 2, 2014 5:09 AM in response to ada mann

May a bit late, but you need the Apple Raid Utility in order to initialize the raid. if you have 4 drives in your system the mac won't start up because the raid has not been configured yet. The easiest way to do this is build an external USB stick with a 10.8 or 10.9 installer, and in the utilities menu the RAID Utility will show up. Disk utility is useless with the RAID card and only supports software RAID (E.G Mirror or Stripe) and not RAID 5.

Hope this helps.

Aug 18, 2014 8:24 AM in response to ada mann

Just looking to see whether you had any issues with the Apple RAID card and 10.9 Mavericks?

I have a 2010 MacPro with RAID 5 running Snow Leopard client and I need to upgrade it to Mavericks, and I'm having trouble finding out whether this is compatible or whether there are any issues.

Any info would be appreciated.

installing, a Apple Raid Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.