Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks disk (partition bug)

I upgrated to Mavericks on one of my partition (Macintosh HD 2) and deleted the other one. BUT Mavericks won't let me "update" the size of my partition (Macintosh HD 2) even though i have free space (up to 200 Go) ! Help ? Thanks ! User uploaded file

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 4:37 AM

Hi macOS11,

If you are having issues adjusting the partition size on your Mavericks machine, you may find the following article helpful. You may also want to try it from Disk Utility when booted to the Recovery partition.

Disk Utility 12.x: Partition a disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5845

Apple Support: Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Regards,

- Brenden

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 4:37 AM in response to macOS11

Hi macOS11,

If you are having issues adjusting the partition size on your Mavericks machine, you may find the following article helpful. You may also want to try it from Disk Utility when booted to the Recovery partition.

Disk Utility 12.x: Partition a disk

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5845

Apple Support: Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Regards,

- Brenden

Oct 25, 2013 2:07 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks,

I've just read in this article "the last partition can't be resized", that's why i'm stuck with my partition.... I deleted Macintosh HD 1 which was ABOVE Macintosh HD 2, the one i'm actually using and want to resize... So apparently i won't be able to resize it, the only solution is, i guess, to make a partition out of the free space, move all my data to it, then delete HD2 and resize the new partition to use the HD entirely... Which is going to take hours i'm afraid.

Thanks anyway !

Oct 29, 2013 8:37 AM in response to macOS11

I also have something wrong ,but it could be the fact I have to many Partitions !

Every Partition I have is arranged differently depending on what Disk Utility I view on what Partition I am in.

so I have one Recovery Disk that I can boot into and some Volumes are not mounted and Show error

1. Alert ' Live file system repair is not supported '

2 . In red, ' EFI Partition File system needs repair '

3 Problems were foiund during Partiton repair

Surely A 10.6 DVD is going to repair a partition Map !

There is a difference in the DU in Applications in Installed OSX and the DU on the DVD ,and I use this to repair

So should I use a Memory stick and use R and DU externally ?

May 30, 2014 11:03 AM in response to macOS11

Shutdown the computer, wait 10 seconds.

Boot up holding down Command and R.

Open disk utility > Click the disk above Macintosh hd 1 (Parent disk)

Goto restore tab > Click and drag Macintosh Hd 2 to the source section.

Click and drag Macintosh HD 1 to desination.

Then restore.

This will make Macintosh hd 1 the exact same as Mac HD 2, Hold option upon the next boot up, choose Macintosh hd 1, and delete the second partition then reclaim the space.

Hope this helps.

Jun 24, 2014 2:34 AM in response to 213JB

HI - my external HD shows in Disk Utility but not on the desktop. i erased the disk to do a full backup of my macbook pro HD. i thought by removing the only remaining partition it might enable me to create a new partition to format in Mac OS extended (journaled) but it is stuck on "preparing to remove partition" yet a statement in the box says this partition can;t be modified (i saw this too late).

if i close disk utility it says it could render my disk unusable. will your suggestion work for this?

Mavericks disk (partition bug)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.