Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update an old 2002 iMac - need help!

I'm trying to update my ancient iMac to a newer operating system. I was hoping I could simply download my purchased copy of Mountain Lion onto this machine, but to my knowledge I cannot access the Mac App Store on this machine. Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction of how I should go about this? Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 9:11 AM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2013 9:38 AM in response to HeatherKael

I'm sorry, but your Mac is way too old to update to Mountain Lion. Look here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444

Mavericks was released yesterday and Mountain Lion is no longer available in the MAS. You need to be running OSX 10.6.8 in order to have the MAS on your Mac in the first place.

Maybe you should think about investing in a new Mac - or maybe a refurb, if you can't afford a new one, or settle for the OS that you are running now. As far as I know, you cannot buy Tiger which might be the next step up for your machine.

Trying to update an old 2002 iMac - need help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.