Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes bad sound

Hello,

I am experiencing bad sound from iTunes specifically, I mean the sound quality of the playing tracks; it is kind of cracking (like its bass is not clear; noisy, maybe..) and also I feel like the volume is too loud. Actually, I do not know what happened. This staretd directly after updating to iTunes 11.1.2 today's morning, and continued even after updating my Mac to Mavericks..

Worth mentioning is that I used some sound utilities:

- SoundBunny: I tried it for sometime then uninstalled it, and the older iTunes was working flawlessly everafter.

- Boom: I am always using it; however, the Boom feature is alawys "off", while the equalizer is always on "Bass Boost". (Obviously I tried switching it off)

- Soundflowerbed: Always off, only used when in need of recording or sort of this kind of stuff.

That's all folks!

So what do you think? I am really irritated with this issue.

Hope someone can help,

Kind Regards.

-MHD

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), MHD's MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 9:52 AM

53 replies

Oct 23, 2013 10:14 AM in response to MHD_MUS

Just a quick update.

I have just noticed a strange behavior; when there's any track playing with that bad sound quality, if I disabled then re-enabled the Equalizer, the sound will be fixed! I tried it many times.

iTunes Equalizer is always set to R&B

Boom was completely disabled and also uninstalled.

Waiting for your kind input.

-MHD

Oct 23, 2013 6:41 PM in response to MHD_MUS

Noticed this behaviour too a couple of minutes ago. I upgraded to Mavericks yesterday afternoon and to iTunes 11.1.2 early this morning but hadn't used iTunes until a little bit ago. The problem is definitely linked to the iTunes Equalizer. I used to keep mine flat but now it is completely off (doesn't make much of a difference to me).

Turning it off and on again helped for a short period of time in my case. It was as if there was a gradual buildup over time that finally resulted in distortion and when turning off the equalizer it would suddenly go away completely. When I turned on my equalizer the difference wasn't noticible at first, but it kept slowly building up until it reached distortion.

I think that it could either be that the iTunes update messed up the equalizer itself, or that Mavericks might have some bugs with CoreAudio.

Oct 23, 2013 11:15 PM in response to stevchenks

Holy crap I could kiss you right now. I've been pulling the remaining bits of my hair out trying to discover why my audio sounds like crap just in iTunes that started just this afternoon.

What's worth noting is that I -NEVER- use the equalizer, and after the latest update today the equalizer was turned on. I never even considered looking there. Feel sorry for you guys who actually use the software EQ.

Oct 24, 2013 2:09 AM in response to Khadgar

Khadgar wrote:

What's worth noting is that I -NEVER- use the equalizer, and after the latest update today the equalizer was turned on. I never even considered looking there. Feel sorry for you guys who actually use the software EQ.

Just have found a temporary fix for those guys Khadgar felt sorry for; I re-installed Boom and used my preferrred preset Equalizer there (Bass Boost) while keeping iTunes Equalizer off.

You can download a trial for Boom from here, maybe it can help with Equalizer till Apple fix iTunes' one.

And BTW, Khadgar, thanks for the innocent kiss :)

-MHD

itunes bad sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.