Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder crashes with maverick

Installed Mavericks and shortly thereafter Finder crashed. Error message keeps appearing, click OK to send to Apple and message returns. Tried restart to no avail. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:25 AM

128 replies

Oct 23, 2013 1:06 PM in response to applezen

I just installed Mavericks and finder constantly crashes. CPU usage is high cause it's all the time sending crashes reports to apple. Mail, Maps and Safari also crash on starting. I can only use non-apple programs like Chrome and Spotify. Terminal does not appear in the system, but I have at least iTerm installed I cand perform tasks with it.

In my case Mavericks = Unsable computer.

Desperate to make it work

Oct 23, 2013 5:06 PM in response to applezen

Same here. I've already tried everything to restore Finder. I can access any program from the Launcher, I can access any file as if I'm uploading it but Finder crashes in an infinite loop and CrashReport proccess is killing my CPU. Now I have 5 options:

1. Borrow an external hard drive(since I can't access mine), Time Machine it and reinstall from backup.

2. Make another OSX partition, access and manually backup my files from the main partition through this secondary partition.

3. Order a $10 FireWire 800/800 cable(gosh, those Thunderbolt cables are pricy), backup my files to my girlfriend's MPB.

4. Try booting in Safe Mode, as macjack suggested.

5. Try this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5273442?answerId=22858772022#22858772022

I am eager to go home and fix my baby. Also, my iMac is out of warranty and my local authorized dealer charges $60 for a backup, taking it to the shop is not an alternative for me. But it's something I'd do if I still had the warranty.

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2013 5:06 PM in response to notabear

I'll give you another one since I see your crash report. If Safe Mode doesn't work, try re-installing OSX.

Boot up holding command-r keys into your Recovery Volume.

First run Disk Utility > Repair Disk, if you get errors run until no errors reported or reports "the disk cannot be fixed". Then, choose Reinstall OS X. This will be an install "in place" and shouldn't effect any of your own data or settings.

Oct 23, 2013 5:43 PM in response to applezen

I am having a similar problem with a MBP mid-late 2007 model. Several weeks ago Apple issued an update to OS X Mountain Lion. When I ran the update it basically bricked the MBP after the restart. The Mac would freeze at the Apple logo and the desktop would never appear. I reinstalled the OS and recovered from TimeMachine figuring I'd wait for Mavericks. However, after installing Mavericks, the same issue occurred and I again recovered via TM. There is something about the latest Mountain Lion updater and the Mavericks install that has introduced this issue.

finder crashes with maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.