Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Mavericks -- GUID issue?

Hi there,

I searched but didn't find an answer for this. Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

I'm trying to install Mavericks on my Macbook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core I5 w/8GB RAM and 1TB HDD). When I download from the Mac App Store and I try to install, I get the following message:

"This disk doesn't use the GUID Partition Table scheme. Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme. Select the disk, choose the Partition tab, select the Volume Scheme and then click Options."

When I go into Disk Utility and select the Partition tab, the options button is greyed out and non-selectable.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it asking me to reformat my HDD to GUID before I install?

Thanks,

Robert.

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 7:59 AM

Hi Robert Lindsley!

I have an article here for you that can inform you on creating a GUID partition so that you can perform this update:

Firmware updates for Intel-based Macs require a GUID partition scheme

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2434

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

Regards,

Braden

3 replies

Oct 25, 2013 9:35 AM in response to braden85

Hi Braden,

Thanks for the response! It looks like I'll need to back up my data, reformat my startup drive to GUID and restore my data.

I have a 1TB HDD so this will take me a couple of days. I'm guessing I'll skip Mavericks, and maybe by the time they release their next OS I'll have done all that computer maintenence 🙂

Thanks!
Robert.

Can't install Mavericks -- GUID issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.