Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just updated to OS X server 3.0 now VPN is not working

When my boss trys to VPN with his laptop, it gets stuck authenticating. He has shutdown restarted, but still is not able to logon. Suggestions? I am running the new OS Maverick with the new OS X server software 3.0.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:36 AM

82 replies

Oct 23, 2013 11:45 AM in response to tdudley55555

Same problem here. VPN server was working fine on server 2.2.x under Mountain Lion, but after updating to Mavericks and server 3.0 I cannot connect. Nothing's changed with my router configuration, and all of the appropriate ports are opened, just as they were before updating. The only thing that's changed is that I updated from 10.8 -> 10.9, and went from server 2.2 -> 3.0.

It *****, but I'm glad to see it's not just me.

Oct 23, 2013 3:39 PM in response to tdudley55555

I just upgraded to Mavericks and my VPN Connects but does not route. I am connecting to the Synology VPN Server at the office. I found a workaround. Under Settings / Network under "Set Service Order", make the VPN first in the list above either Ethernet and/or WiFI. This will make the VPN the "DEFAULT" Route. The problem with this is that ALL Internet Traffic will go over the VPN. Local network still works fine. This was not the case with 10.8 when I first setup my VPN. With 10.8 only traffic destined for my office netork routed over the VPN whiich is what I want. It appears that Mavericks does not know the ipaddress at my office for some reason. Also, I did not need to setup a ROUTE in 10.8 that I know of.

Oct 23, 2013 4:12 PM in response to d21mike

After writing my reply and decided to go back and search my records to see if I had actually setup a ROUTE in 10.8 and I did. I wanted my VPN to not be the primary route so I created " /etc/ppp/ip-up " file. What it does is add the route when the VPN comes up and gets deleted when you disconnect from the VPN.

ip-up file contains this. The 10.1.1.0 would be your office network (IE - network you are connection to via the VPN). You could have multiple if you have multiple networks at the office. Again, this allows for you to only have tcpip traffic for 10.1.1.0 to go through the VPN. Just set the service order of your vpn after you network connection. Also, do not set the advanced setting which says to send all tcpip traffic over the vpn.

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/route add -net 10.1.1 -interface ppp0

Just updated to OS X server 3.0 now VPN is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.