Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TB -> Gb Ethernet not recognized after waking from sleep (rMBP)

After installing Mavericks, when ever the computer wakes from sleep it doesn't recognize the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

In my use case, when I wake my computer up from taping on the keyboard, I log in and reload a Safari tab. Safari complains it doesn't have a network connection. I have to remove and reinsert the TB -> Gb adapter to get a network connection again. I've given it time (about 4-5 minutes) to get it's connection back.

The computer I'm having this issue on:

MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB / NVidia 650M

Software OS X 10.9

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 10:58 AM

16 replies

Oct 27, 2013 1:29 PM in response to MarioMIT

So far I have a solution from terminal, but please note I'm using a static IP address, so this may not work for you of you use DHCP.

I have 2 locations defined, as I'm using a static IP address from home I have the location "Home" defined as having the static IP address for the Thunderbolt Ethernet and the location "Automatic" defined as having no Thunderbolt Ethernet.

Once I get "awake" I can, from the terminal run:

Richards-MacBook-Pro:etc root# scselect

Defined sets include: (* == current set)

8C148FE1-1BFE-460B-813C-B09E688FE252 (Automatic)

* E7F2CC34-71C0-43D6-956B-B887E8ABD7D7 (Home)

Richards-MacBook-Pro:etc root# scselect Automatic

CurrentSet updated to 8C148FE1-1BFE-460B-813C-B09E688FE252 (Automatic)

Richards-MacBook-Pro:etc root# scselect Home

CurrentSet updated to E7F2CC34-71C0-43D6-956B-B887E8ABD7D7 (Home)

(I'm root here, so you may need to sudo those commands).

And at that point the Ethernet is immediately available.

So I suggest that you create a new network location (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5289) with no Thunderbolt Ethernet defined and the use scselect to switch between the location WITH Thunderbolt Ethernet (which isn't working post-sleep) and the one WITHOUT and then back again, and it seems it'll work.

Not ideal but until there's a bug fix...

I see there's also another fix here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5484290 which might work if you're using DHCP, I need to test that once this sleeps again

Jan 19, 2014 3:19 PM in response to MarioMIT

I belive I have a solution to fix this problem.

I don't know the whys of this, but I noticed that after a colleeague's MBA was upgraded to OS X 10.9, a setting in the network preferences was changed.

System Preferences > Network > Thunderbolt Ethernet > Advanced > Hardware

The Configure setting should be set to 'automatically'. Change it to 'Manually'.

Where it says duplex, if the setting is 'full-duplex, flow control', change it to 'full-duplex'

Click 'Okay'

Click 'Apply'

This should fix the problem. I don't know what flow control is, but that is what seems to be causing the thunderbolt port to not wake from sleep. Or, at the very least, the problem has not existed since the change.

Jan 22, 2014 6:36 AM in response to andyfoo

Edward Escobar's solution seems to have worked for me and I am using a static IP address.

I've had this problem since I bought a new MacBook Proo back in November. I tried some of the fixes I found in the forum but nothing worked. Yesterday I searched for an update, tried Edward's suggestion, and so far everything is working as it should.

TB -> Gb Ethernet not recognized after waking from sleep (rMBP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.