Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone tried Thunderbird with Mavericks?

Given that Mail is so completely useless at the moment, has anyone tried Thunderbird under Mavericks?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:05 AM

24 replies

Oct 23, 2013 11:24 AM in response to mmollo22

Hi mmollo22. I use an external monitor with my iMac - Dell U2412 connected via RGB

Mail window on Dell - Reply window appears then almost immediately disappears UNLESS

1) Full screen mode

2) Pre-existing Reply window exists and is visible

Mail window on iMac - Reply window appears on Dell regardless of pre-existing windows. Full screen mode reply

window appears on the iMac.

Others are having Gmail difficulties. I haven't tested mine thoroughly yet, but it seems unaffected, which would also be strange.

Oct 23, 2013 6:26 PM in response to Ooblick

I've been using Thunderbird v24.0.1 all day today on Mavericks with no issues. I had no issues yesterday either. I actually chose Thunderbird when I first migrsted to MacOS because I could configure ThunderBird for MacOS and ThunderBird for Windows to both use the exact same profie, and therefore always have the current local data stores no matter which OS I was running at the time.

Oct 23, 2013 6:41 PM in response to a brody

If anyone has too many messages, it might be me. I have about 30 different accounts (from more than 6 different providers), and my local folders are over 19GB now. I have GMail going back to 2006, and a couple other accounts going even further back... I think I started using ThunderBird back around the v3.x days, and I just haven't bothered to change because it jsut works for me. I did have a period in there where if I let my MacOS system go to sleep, then it would take ThunderBird a couple minutes to actually close when I tried to exit, but that hasn't happened in a while either.

Oct 29, 2013 7:23 PM in response to Ooblick

Mac Mail after mavericks brings my MBPro to a crawl. CPU utilization is typically 50% or more at times. I'm not using mail now, using web gmail, looking for alternative to Mac mail. Wondering why the reported symptoms are so varied! Watching for an OS update from Apple or a tutorial on proper setup of mavericks mail with gmail.

Oct 30, 2013 2:27 PM in response to Ooblick

I installed Thunderbird under Mavericks this morning. The only problem that I face is that there's no sound when new emails arrive. Some times there is so I figured out that the sound plays if and only if a popup notification appears from the notification center. So, I concluded that this is not a sound problem but a notifications problem. Do you face the same problem with me? Any suggestions?

Nov 2, 2013 6:47 PM in response to Ooblick

Thunderbird has worked fine for me EXCEPT that the mail window does not open until I click the Thunderbird icon in the dock a second time. Admittedly, I'm using a very old version (3.0.1).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Okay . . . I just updated to version 24.1.0, and there are no problems of any kind. It kept all my old settings, changed the icons a little, works faster and adds new options, like Chat. I've been a fanatic for keeping Firefox updated and there's no excuse for my getting so behind on Thunderbird.

If you're having Tbird problems, I suggest updating to the latest version and set your preferences to automatically updating or automatically checking for updates.

Nov 6, 2013 12:14 PM in response to Ooblick

I agree Mail is a complete disaster since the upgrade to Mavericks. For exemple it crashed several times when click the sent button (very nice). Sometimes I could find back my mails in the drafts, some other times not... And plenty of strange behaviours, well let's call it not stable ! I cannot use this for professional purpose for sure.

I switched to Thunderbird some days ago. It took me a bit of time to get used to it and to find all the add-ons I need. But now I am very happy using Thunderbird user, it works like a charm with mavericks, I have no issues...

Nov 6, 2013 12:45 PM in response to astalavista_thes

I, too, switch to Thunderbird in the last 24 hours and have noticed the lack of sound for incoming mail. Using Mavericks. Tried PostBox (still installed), but still not comfortable with PB after a few days of usage. (Details unrecorded . . . just noticed some idiosyncracies that make me uncomfortable.)

So far, TBird looking good, but it has taken many hours to get all my mail from gmail. o well.

Come on, Apple, we want our mail app back!

Has anyone tried Thunderbird with Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.