Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted features from Pages 4.3 to 5

Trying to compile a complete list of features that were stripped with the new version of pages. Please add to this thread.

Customizable toolbar

Multi-color highlighting

Open recent... from Template Chooser

Comments listing in sidebar

Mail merge

Importing Styles

Capture and Manage Pages

Internal hyperlinks

Outlining

RTF import and export

Delete/move/copy/paste page within a document

Linked text boxes

Most Applescript support

OpenType font support

Facing page view

Keyboard shortcuts for styles

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:45 AM

6 replies

Oct 25, 2013 2:18 PM in response to Derick Fay

You can add auto capitalization as missing! In the 09 Pages, when you finished typing the first of a new sentence, Pages 09 automatically capitalize it. This is very annoying. An Apple support person could not find how you reset this capability.

Also, if you type a number with a suffix such as 22nd, Pages 09 would automatically make the nd a superscript.

I will be using iWorks 09 and not the new pages.

Oct 26, 2013 3:28 PM in response to Derick Fay

Please add the following:

1. In Pages 4 we could copy text with citations from another program (such as Logos Bible Software). It would properly paste the text with the citations and footnotes. In Pages 5, attempting that causes only the footnote numbers to be shown, unfortunately just part of text, not as superscripts, and none of the footnotes are shown. This makes the program unusable for academic papers or even business reports.

2. Pictures do not paste where we want them to. This was one of the features that Pages 4 had and Word did not have. Now, it just pastes over other pictures.

3. Bolding a word or statement requires clicking on style and checking emphasis. It took me over an hour to figure this out. Clicking on "B" does nothing.

While I like the clean design, these problems make Pages 5 unusable for me. So, its either back to Pages 4 or switching to Micro$$oft Word (UGH!).

Oct 29, 2013 4:46 PM in response to Derick Fay

It may be that in the next Keynote, Apple will release Pages Pro with all the glorious features we came to love and appreciate in Pages 09. I'm somewhat disillusioned, and getting Pages 5 free with my new MacBook Pro, I thought was a bonus, but now I think I'll buy a superdrive and put Pages 09 on my little SSD drive. No brainer to leave this version alone. I refuse to go back to Word, as Pages 09 is so much more efficient with layout. The loss of mail merge was the clincher for me... as I create signage for 100s of rooms at a University that access a Numbers document. Without Merge, Pages 5 is a waste of disk space.

Oct 30, 2013 5:42 AM in response to Derick Fay

Totally agree. Downloaded Pages '13 at the releae and started working it with it today. At first I thought, what a nice update. But as you stated in your post: it's not an update, but a downgrade. Bad for my business, cause I can work on Pages '09 on my MacBook Pro, but can't view them on my iOS devices anymore. Because if I do the file will only work with pages 5.

I'm glad that I did not open any of my import document with pages 5. Hope Apple will add the features from 4.3 to 5 as soon as possible. Because it's not an professional edition and is not suitable for company's and students.

Deleted features from Pages 4.3 to 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.