Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update to 3.5 on older MacPro and 3.5 not compatible with 3.4.5

It appears that you cannot update Aperture to 3.5 on older Macs. Worse yet the new update is not compatible with the previous version.

The questions are ---

Is this a temproary issue or a permanent issue?

Can I regress back to version 3.4.5 to get my compatibility back ?

---------------------------------------------------------

I have multiple computers I use to work on my photography.

I use a older Mac Pro Vintage late 2007 that cannot be updated beyond OS 10.7.5. This is currently my primary photo computer.

With 3ghz Quad cores and over a terabyte of drive space no need to update yet except for not being able to load the latest OS.

I also use a MacBookPro Vintage Late 2011 and it was just updated to Mavericks. I use this to edit my photos on the go.

I will consider updating to the latest Mac Pro when it becomes available but what to do until then and a warning to others.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8G memory

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 11:40 AM

20 replies

Oct 26, 2013 8:44 PM in response to William Lloyd

Going back to moutnian lion will not work for me.

I do not have time machine so I have to find a way to get the previous version.

I have been to the Apple store and they had no answers other than to get a new Mac Pro in order to update all the programs.

Apple needs to step up and provide a way back on this release for those of us who cannot update to the Mac Pro or are still waiting for the new one out later this year but need to keep working until then.

Oct 27, 2013 8:37 AM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

Replying to self. I'm going to try using TimeMachine to roll back to Mountain Lion. The directions seem simple enough. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11181?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US.

PS Apple seems very sensitive about certain words. The word I used isn't one of the seven dirty words and in fact maybe not even 100 words.

I meant to say (using a more polite wording): Note to Apple this is really a poor way to treat your customers and NO warning given.

Oct 27, 2013 2:04 PM in response to SoCalMtnBiker

TimeMachine worked with a few minor resettings so far.

When I feel like going throught the hoops again, I'll upgrade to Mavericks again, but not update Aperture; although the risk of accidentally upgrading is there. If that happens I'll try copying over Aperture 3.4.5 and seing if it works.

Problem will go away in a couple of months when I upgrade (replace) my laptop. Waiting for refurbs of the newest ones.

Nov 6, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Actually, I had this same problem - accidentally upgraded my library on my Mac Air to 3.5, but am not running Aperture 3.5 on any of my other, older Macs. I *was* able to downgrade the library back to 3.4.5. BAsically, I had to open the library on a computer running Aperture 3.4.5 in library repair mode (holding down command and option when opening). In the ensuing dialog I had to choose to rebuild the library. I first tried just repairing, and it seemed to work, but next time I opened Aperture I got the "library can't be opened iwth an older version of Aperture" message. Rebuilding it seems to have done the trick.

A more detailed explanation (though not written for this particular scenario) is here:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/faq/common-aperture-questions-issues-and-rep/how-d o-i-repair-or-rebuild-my-aperture-library-or-permission.html

Having restored the library to 3.4.5 format, I downgraded Aperture on my Air to 3.4.5 as well and it's been smooth sailing. Just make sure you have Mavericks set up to *NOT* automatically update your apps, or you'll end up in the same situtation all over again when it silently upgrades Aperture to 3.5 again.

Good luck!

Nov 6, 2013 8:58 AM in response to rastriffler

I was encouraged to read this report, but there seems to be a needed caveat. I copied an Aperture 3.5 library to my Mac Pro from my MBP, and then tried to open it with A3.4.5, with the expected failure. Then I did a rebuild, which seemed to go quickly, and the library then opened.

However, I had imported some new photos into this test library while in 3.5, and for those images, clicking to view any individual photo resulted in an Unsupported image message. Those images that had already been in the library when it was first upgraded to 3.5 did not present this issue.

Ernie

Amended result: Reprocessing the Original corrected the unsupported, but assume any adjustments were then lost, but need to confirm later.

Nov 6, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Good point. I had not modified the library (added, deleted or modified any photos) before trying to recover it. I think what you're describing would be expected results.

If you had done a large amount of additional work in the converted library, you could try the "import into a new library" trick, but I have not tried that, so I can't say whether it would work.

I'm pretty much seeing this as a recovery solution for those who inadvertantly upgraded and are trying to recover their library, rather than a generalized solution to moving back and forth between library version.

Glad it seems to have helped!

Nov 6, 2013 9:14 AM in response to rastriffler

Well, I was only testing. Thus far I have done nothing to imperial my alpha library, which remains under 3.4.5, and for which I am running pre-10.9 OSX -- ML on my rMBP and Lion on the old MP.

But 3.5 and 10.9 are tantalizing fast in response on my rMBP. Sadly that same rMBP booted into Mt. Lion from an external USB3 drive out performs 3.4.5 operating on my Mac Pro which can only run Lion. So I await the new MP and its improved interfaces for synergy with my rMBP and its Thunderbolt library drives.

Ernie

Cannot update to 3.5 on older MacPro and 3.5 not compatible with 3.4.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.