Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to ARD client v3.7 with firewall enabled

Just upgraded my mid 2010 Mac Mini server (10.8.5) to ARD client v3.7 and my mid 2012 MBP (10.8.5) to ARD admin 3.7 and client 3.7. Now i cannot get my MBP to connect and control the mac mini. It all worked fine with the previous ARD admin and client versions on both machines.

ARD does work if I disable the mac mini's firewall. Screen sharing does not work unless the firewall is disabled. Are there any firewall settings that I should be checking? I have Screen Sharing and Remote Management listed as allowing incoming connections. I also have screensharingd listed futher down the list as blocking incoming connections but this makes no difference to the outcome if this is allow or deny.

Any advice appreciated!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 12:25 PM

26 replies

Oct 24, 2013 1:45 AM in response to Not_So

I also have this problem on a network of about 28 Macs. Upgraded to ARD 3.7. Running 10.8.5.

Most Macs are accessible via ARD as always, but some fail exactly as you describe. If the firewall on the client is disabled then ARD can access the remote machine OK.

This looks like a flaw in ARD 3.7 to me.

Have not yet upgraded any Macs to Mavericks.

Oct 24, 2013 3:04 AM in response to alicantemacman

I think I have a solution/workaround that allows the firewall to be ON.

On the client machine, go to firewall options, scroll though the list and look for screensharingd.

Make sure it is set to Allow incoming connections.

Turn the Firewall OFF.

Restart the client Mac.

When restarted turn the firewall ON again. At this point I was asked if I wanted screensharingd to allow connections (even although I had already set it to do so), and so you may have to set this option a second time.

Now try ARD from the adminstrator Mac. This worked for me, and allows remote management with firewall ON.

I hope this helps: interested to see if it does.

Oct 24, 2013 4:10 AM in response to Not_So

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work after a reboot for me.

I think all I have achieved is a way restoring ARD access with the client firewall ON, but only for that particular session. Even when using the padlock on the firewall tab to prevent further changes, screensharingd reverts to Block incoming connections. You would have to reset this each time, which is hardly ideal.

Cannot connect to ARD client v3.7 with firewall enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.